Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Tony worked on several test plates and finally figured out our problems. Originally we figured that we had lack of fusion and needed more amps. Along with more amps comes faster travel speed. After several test plates and bending them in house he settled on 265 ipm, 22.1 volts, trim set to 1.04, amps 100-106 with a travel speed of 6" inches per minute. This was successful on two separate test plates so they went ahead and finished out new test plates. We will send them in and cross our fingers. Now I will probably have to retake mine since we have altered the WPS so much but I will have to check for sure.
-Jonathan
Attachments
Tony's (Hillbilly Welder) 3G test plate
Tony's (Hillbilly Welder) 3G test plate
photo (18).JPG (125.99 KiB) Viewed 1692 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Excellent!

I did not get to play, again, because that NFPA70E class I was to take at 8AM, we weren't able to connect to. I took it at 1PM, so was an hour over my shift before it was finished, and have to take the test in the AM.

I do need to take pictures tommorow morning of a "bad gas" weld. Had a machine F^%& up Monday, and it reminded me of welding 308 MIG with pure argon by mistake once in the past. This AM, waiting on my (deferred) schooling, I ran a bead with the bottle, labeled "Tri-Mix", which sucked horribly, than swapped to a known-good bottle from another machine I'd used, and got a great bead with the exact same settings. Tagged that bottle "bad", and moved on. It's solid evidence that, "sometimes it's the gas."

Steve S
jbrophy
    Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:17 pm

I just failed a 6g tube test for lack of penetration at Boilermakers union hall in Birmingham they need a boat load of welders tig and stick

jbrophy wrote:I just failed a 6g tube test for lack of penetration at Boilermakers union hall in Birmingham they need a boat load of welders tig and stick
jbrophy,
Sorry to hear that my friend. Are you going to try it again? Where was your lack of fusion, root? What process were you using?
-Jonathan

I have not gave a update in a while. I am happy to report that this test was passed, finally using the specs mentioned earlier. We also have taken a few more test, one being a 4G MIG that I will get put up soon.
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I apologize, Jonathan, for not following up on the coupons you sent me.

I've been struggling with how do do them in a way that remotely resembles the WPS you provided.

Since you seem to have solved your issues, perhaps I can experriment a bit. I think I'll try a globuar-transfer using a helium mix.

Steve S