Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
nightcrawler76
    Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:56 pm

Howdy, I'm new to the community,so with all due respect,greetings.
I am a 21 year tenured welder. I am not a weld type specific welder,I am a combo welder. I am however,most comfortable with tiger,and as far as material,stainless and aluminum are my favorites.
Ok , enough about me. I have been stuck in the same old world,for a long time due to the fact that I could not afford to take the 6G weld test and 150 question written test,to get my G8 license,however I was given the opportunity of a lifetime....and so without hesitation, I accepted the weld test I was given,to better myself and get myself in the door...here is my dilemma. I've never used 8018. And I've only taken a 6G test once. I did excellent,but it was only to get the ball rolling. So,how does it weld? And how hard is the 6G test really? I mean I've welded pipe for years,just never tested,but I'm extremely nervous. What amperage do I use( 1/8",3/32")Please help the test is tomorrow morning,and I'm a ball of nerves!!! Thanks, Nightcrawler.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Nightcrawler,

8018 welds almost identical to 7018. I doubt you'll notice a difference. If anything, 8018 will carry a few more amps than 7018, but only a few for the same weld.

What's the test? Is it 8010 root? or 8018 all the way?

The 6G is as hard as you make it for yourself. If you're 21 years in, relax and weld it... You're no student seeking a grade.

We have several pipe hands here who can give more specific advice on that rod/test, but try not to over-think it.

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Will try to post more info later but for now here is my last post of one of my 6G tests
http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=4&t=5987
-Jonathan
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Hi Nightcrawler,

Well I certainly trust you got through your test just fine. Do let us know how you got on, and was anything really as tough as you might have presumed.

I hope you did just great

Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

nightcrawler76,
I too would like to know how it went.
-Jonathan
steeldr.
    Thu May 15, 2014 2:44 am

What joint type are the tests, open root, closed root, backing ring, and what type of inspection is required?
Hint, cut the filler wire in half so it will be easier to control, because of the small pipe diameter, you will be out of position before you could burn a complete rod. If you are allowed to use a grinder, grind your starts. Also, start and end your weld block (segment) on the side of the pipe bevel, not on the root. Hope this helps, and good luck......ron