Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Ayelet Schori
    Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Hey does anybody know when you go to take the certification test they need your social security information?
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

First, welcome to the forum! How about sharing a little about yourself?
Yes, SSN are required when submitting a cert. They need to know who the cert belongs to. Are you asking if we know or asking because you do not have one?
-Jonathan
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Ayelet Schori

Thank you for the warm welcome!
My Name is Ayelet, I do have a social Security i was just wondering
the one who does the welding is actually my Husband

my other question is

if you want to open a business, or do welding jobs for private homes do you have to have a certificate? or can you just do the jobs just the same?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Ayelet Schori wrote:My Name is Ayelet, I do have a social Security i was just wondering
Welcome.

First, it's HIS ssn that matters, since you're not taking the test.

Second, No, you don't need a certificate for most private welding jobs.

Third, and most important, Why are you posting on his behalf? This forum is for welders discussing welding. I wil not allow this to become a site of welders' spouses...

Steve S
Ayelet Schori

My husband does not like computers
but thanks for letting me know...
sorry...
i thought this forum was for help in welding... maybe i was wrong to even enter here
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Ayelet

This is a forum that helps others but many are cautious with new people here.
Many times we get trolls with ulterior motives so forgive these guys for not being all warm and fuzzy.
Oh, welcome to "the hood"

Ayelet,

I apologize that my "welcome" is less than warm... There is a section of this forum for people to introduce themselves, which we invite everyone to take advantage of.

You introduced yourself in a different forum with a controversial question about SSNs for certifications. An interesting "hello"... And then shared that you are asking this for another person.

This is "coloring outside the lines". If the gentleman in question, who you are obviously representing, cannot or is unwilling to provide a SSN, then we have an issue I don't wish to become embroiled in.

Steve S

Ayelet Schori wrote:Thank you for the warm welcome!
My Name is Ayelet, I do have a social Security i was just wondering

my other question is

if you want to open a business, or do welding jobs for private homes do you have to have a certificate? or can you just do the jobs just the same?
Ayelet,
If you want a home based business you will or might not need a cert. I do many repairs and builds and am never asked if I am certified (which I am). If you and your husband want to start a business tailored to the general community than I recommend a few general certs just for the sake of saying you are qualified and the learning curve that comes along with it. I would focus on getting the business up and running before you worry about certs.
My opinion.
-Jonathan
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

I will also add even with a home business, you need to do some research. The basis of which you need to estimate how much you will profit and how much uncle sam is going to make off of you.
Blue Diver
    Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:28 pm

rake wrote:This is a forum that helps others but many are cautious with new people here.
Many times we get trolls with ulterior motives so forgive these guys for not being all warm and fuzzy.
Maybe I'm naive but what would qualify as an ulterior motive on a welding forum? And what would a troll.... troll for? Anyone is more than welcome to PM me with answers if they are not meant for open forum talk. I'm obviously missing the cloak and dagger portion of the site?
'Can't' is an evil word that is not in my vocabulary!

Blue Diver wrote:
rake wrote:This is a forum that helps others but many are cautious with new people here.
Maybe I'm naive but what would qualify as an ulterior motive on a welding forum? And what would a troll.... troll for? Anyone is more than welcome to PM me with answers if they are not meant for open forum talk. I'm obviously missing the cloak and dagger portion of the site?
The Forum Moderators might explain a little better but there are those who would use this platform to sell a product or service (sererate from the for sale section) They might just be spam, advertisements for purses or sunglasses or general things that don't belong. Then there are those who search out posts and comment for their entertainment. Another ulterior motive is those who join a forum just to get a question answered and never thank us for our help and answers and/or never post again because they have their answer. If you watch closely those of us that have been here for a while are usually reserved when a new member posts just a quesion without any introduction. You can usually tell if they want to be a part of the family or are just wanting a answer and that's it. They might start a fight, post profanity, nudity or just post something completely off the wall. The worst, in my opinion, are those who have not been a member and sign up to post once their opinion that is clearly meant to offend and start a fight and they never post here again.

I want to be clear about your last statement. We as active members will NEVER stab a member in the back nor is there a secret club of us that put others down. We might not agree but we are professional and respect each others views. This is the best welding forum on the web and I can say that in all honesty. I am a member of almost all other welding forums and post on them on occasion. The love and respect found here is second to none. As Steve S says it is like a backyard BBQ. This goes to everyone who reads this, NEVER be afraid to post a question no matter how many times we might have answered it, how "stupid" you think it is or even send us a Private Message. Collectively we can usually answer every question in time. It amazes me how quickly questions are answered. There are times I will read a new question and go about my day thinking of the correct answer for them or looking up the answer and come back to find multiple posts where someone has beat me to it. There are also questions that are asked that I have no clue how to answer or am unfamilar with the machine or process yet eventually someone answers it. Hope this helps.
-Jonathan
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Trolling is one of my favorite hobbies. Except I do it in real life instead of on the welding forum ;)
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Blue Diver
    Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Touche' Grientime and thank you Jonathon for the well thought out explanation. Not being a big forum guy, I have never really thought about the situations that may come up and I probably would have eventually done one or two things wrong myself so its all good to know.
'Can't' is an evil word that is not in my vocabulary!

Jonathan has summed it up very nicely.

Some people use forums like this for commercial purposes, personal agendae, or to skirt the rule of law.

We have a great neighborhood here, and we tend to protect it.

No offense is meant to anyone; That's not how we do things. However, we will defend our little corner of the internet, so if your post is questionable or your motive unclear, you will be questioned. If your motives are in line with our purpose, I'll apologize for any inconvenience or offence.

I suppose it's a bit like a "homeowner's association"...

Steve S
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

I ran into a situation one time that made me think twice about using SS#'s on welding certifications. I have qualified/certified literally thousands of individuals during my previous employment.

One day I was called into the field to review a problem that was associated with our shop's work and here I stood in the job trailer waiting for someone to come show me around and I see a stack of my guy's welding certs spread out all over this desk in front of me where anyone could copy them down and use the name/SS# for purposes other than intended.

So before I sent out a welding submittal package to those GC's, I revised our welder's ID to be 3 initials and last 4 digits of the SS# to try to keep my guy's info a little more secure.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:We have a great neighborhood here, and we tend to protect it.

No offense is meant to anyone; That's not how we do things. However, we will defend our little corner of the internet,"...

Steve S
I hear ya man...I'm a moderator on another welding forum so I understand completely.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector