Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
taz
    Mon May 26, 2014 12:43 pm

Steve, if your superintendent is qualified to ASME IX it is very easy to renew his qualification.

QW-322.2 Renewal of Qualification.
(a) Renewal of qualification expired under
QW-322.1(a) may be made for any process by welding a
single test coupon of either plate or pipe, of any material,
thickness or diameter, in any position, and by testing of
that coupon as required by QW-301 and QW-302. A successful
test renews the welder or welding operator’s previous
qualifications for that process for those materials,
thicknesses, diameters, positions, and other variables for
which he was previously qualified. he has to do to reinstate his qualification is to weld any metal
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Thanks, taz,

My super is unlikely to renew, as since his promotion he has no time to be on his tools, but that information will still prove helpful, as I may be six months from my last pipe qualification by the time this audit is done.

Oh, and I think I'm going to have to qualify on GTAW aluminum. (Shouldn't be a problem, but a test is a test, and anything can happen...)

Steve S
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Taz,
That approach makes much more sense than a cover-to-cover read. SO much of the material in IX will never apply to me, and that seems like a great way to weed out the superfluous.

@weldingt,
I'm assuming the audit is a combined NBIC/ASME, so there will be a code book available to me at work. I've gotten a bit of the "mushroom treatment" on this, despite being the only shop-floor person involved in the project. I'm a bit dissappointed that I was not kept more in the loop on this, as I may have to answer questions for the auditor as the sole weldor on the demonstration piece and the only qualified and current code weldor in the shop. (My super is qualified, but not current.)

Thanks!

Steve S
During the audit, one of the key points is your quality system related to material control and process control. Keep material Identification on all cut pieces. Get familar with the WPS and understand what you have to do. Your QA/QC person will probably prepare a "traveler" to go with the project and have all of the information you need.

As a welder, you probably won't be required to know anything more than how to follow the instructions but being knowledgeable in the codes is always a good thing. That knowledge can be a stepping stone to other opportunities in the future.

Here is a link to a website belonging to one of the most knowledgeable people I have met face to face when it comes to ASME SEC IX. http://www.sperkoengineering.com/html/asme.htm

My interest in codes and standards many years ago has provided many opportunities over the years .
Gerald Austin
If I didn't say it in the post- Have a great day !
Greeneville Tn
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Thanks, Gerald,

Generally, I'd agree that "as the welder" my knowledge requirements don't expand much beyond the WPS, but I'm pretty sure that when this comes down, I'm going to be asked to administer the program. Thus, my expanded interest.

We've been coached very tightly through material monitoring and traceability on all consumables and materials related to code work. Our sister shop in TX has both U and R stamps, and has been a huge help walking through this.

Steve S
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Thanks, Gerald,

Generally, I'd agree that "as the welder" my knowledge requirements don't expand much beyond the WPS, but I'm pretty sure that when this comes down, I'm going to be asked to administer the program. Thus, my expanded interest.

We've been coached very tightly through material monitoring and traceability on all consumables and materials related to code work. Our sister shop in TX has both U and R stamps, and has been a huge help walking through this.

Steve S
If you have other facilities with their ASME and NB stamp then I am sure you guys have a system thats good to go. Get all the information you can as you are working with it. The QC side of the welding world is a good thing to know. But nothin beats watchin the fire !

Have a great night .
Gerald Austin
If I didn't say it in the post- Have a great day !
Greeneville Tn