Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
mobileweldingreno
    Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:17 pm

Im learning pipe. Its a AWS and CE 6g cert on 1 1/2 sched 40 at 45 degrees with 3/32 root. I ran my first root and Mother it was ugly. I blew out the root after about a 1/4 inch. I have no real tutelage. Have to figure it out my self. I tried running 3 3/2 rod. It seems like it takes too much heat to melt the rod without blowing out the edge. Any pointers would be welcome.
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

That diameter and schedule pipe is about as hard as it gets.you should be learning on something way bigger
Dancing with the blue lady
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Agreed, I'd start out working on some larger of 6" would be ideal, start in the 2g position. Learn the technique, the smaller diameter pipe you are constantly changing angle as you move around the pipe. For 6g I strongly recommend using your RH up one side (bottom to top) then use the LH to go (bottom to top) up the other side. It will make your life a lot easier welding with both hands. Make a lot of dry passes, muscle memory helps a lot.

Are you walking the cup or keyhole and dab? 85 amps with 3/32" tungsten and 3/32"-1/8" gap should be good for your root, then up the amps about 10 for each pass.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
mobileweldingreno

Thank you fellas. I ran a root on 3" schedule 40 in a 2g position using a lay wire technique today. It looks like with a little practice Ill be able to get er done. I will dry run the left hand.And I see the need for a tig finger.
Rick_H

Are you walking the cup or just scooting forward? Let it cool between passes, its hard to wait but make a difference. Brush it very good, and depending on your tacks and the wps feathering the tacks can help as well.

I use to just practice 2g running beads around a 6" pipe, walking the cup. Helped me really get the technique down especially as things were heating up....muscle memory really works of your not use to using your opposite hand. I use it often now when needed and don't think twice about it. I did use my tig finger....worth every penny.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
mobileweldingreno

I got about an hour of practice Friday. looks like I'm slowly improving with each run. Ive been a tig welder since 89 but never pipe. And never opposing hand. I wonder how smooth my prep has to be. #4 finish or just paint removal? I'm walking the cup on fill and cover but its still leaving undercut on both sides. Probably not adding enough rod. Ill try running my root at 65 amps on monday. I'm not very patient. I want to crank it up but it isn't helping. Im grateful for the input.
Rick_H

Try walking the cup on the root, it will force you to slow down a little... My root was 85amp, and allowed a nice steady pace, I also tend to like to run a little hotter and faster. Pipe taught me to slow down....especially when you have an xray ;)

Make dry runs with he opposite hand, you'll be shocked how much it helps. I always favored my rh but as I moved into pipe the lh became important, now I don't hesitate to switch. Since you can't move the pipe during the test once you start it will make your life a lot easier.

If your using 3/32" filler and they allow it try 1/8" might help so you don't feel the need to have to push as much rod in. As far as finish, I was using a 120 grit on the belt sander to clean the bevels up on the test coupons, also did around the pipe a little so no contamination happened. Just brushed the interior....
Attachments
Cover.... 6" pipe
Cover.... 6" pipe
IMG_20140409_154416.jpg (42.98 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
Hot pass, stacking beads
Hot pass, stacking beads
IMG_20140409_100300.jpg (36.97 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
Root
Root
IMG_20140409_093945.jpg (41.92 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB