Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

AKweldshop wrote:
Butcher wrote:
AKweldshop wrote:What are those ugly little things hanging onto the bottom of that last pic you posted?
Surely you are able to eliminate those ?
I was starting my stringers on the backing plate so that is where the weld transferred from overhead (doesn't seem like the right term?) to vertical. Unless you mean the two short stringers, that is where I filled in two low spots.

I'm talking about those two little stringers that you used to fill the low places, yes.
Bottom line.
They look bad.
Your capping stringers should be one weld from top to bottom.

If you have low places, for gosh's sake, fill them in thru out the fill passes.
You had tons of time to even things out.
Please do not fill the low places on the cap.

John
John,
You made those statements now back them up.

You have forgot that Butcher is welding to AWS D1.1 and he will be turning his test plate in with the cover pass ground down. Why then would it matter what the weld looks like?

There is NOTHING in code that states a weld must be continuous no matter the length of the weld.

"Section 3.7.1 Vertical-Up Welding Requirements. The progression for all passes in vertical position welding shall be upward, except that undercut may be repaired vertically downwards...."

Figure 4.21 Test plate for Unlimited Thickness-Welder Qualification clearly shows the test plate shall be 5" min to which his plates are 6", I know because I provied these particular plates, therefore he can cut off the ends and get rid of those "little ugly things hanging onto the bottow."

If I am incorrect in my reply, please correct me with the code to which he is welding to.
-Jonathan
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Ok,
So technically there is nothing wrong with filling in low places.

But it won't impress anyone.
It's very simple to eliminate them.

IMO.

It was just a tip I was sharing in hopes of helping on a small way.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Butcher wrote: the two short stringers, that is where I filled in two low spots.
As an inspector...I realize that these things happen...you realize that you have a low spot and you fill it in. Good Job!...now before you call me over to inspect the cap, take care of the extra reinforcement(any high places more than allowed in Table 6.1, generally 1/8" max) and all is good. :)

AK was just trying to get you to notice and correct the passes before you get all the out to the cap...but I realize there are times that you may not catch that in time...filling in is acceptable(as long as you correct the amount of reinforcement...aka grinding)

BUT....read on

If this was a performance test...I would ask you to fill it in like you have, and then wait and ask if you can grind it back into compliance. Reason being, grinding may not be allowed on some performance tests(depends on the code the test is being done to). Hope this helps.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector