Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Smittie2121
    Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:16 pm

Hey Guys,

New to the forum here. Over this past summer I have been successful in getting my CWB (all positions), 6010 root/7018 fill and cap, and just passed my 7018 all the way a couple weeks ago.

I have started working on Tig and seem to be picking up the basics pretty quickly. I am just trying to find out what peoples settings are at when they go to run their root pass on the 6g test.

Where I am practicing these are the specs for fit up and equipment used:
Gap - tight 1/8
No landing
1/8 tungsten
1/8 filler wire
Lincoln Electric Invertec V350
105 amps
Lay wire technique with a slight weave just to the edges, traveling fairly fast to not create a keyhole.

Just looking for other ideas to fool around with to see what is best for me.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Welcome to the forum.
You don't say what size coupon you are using for 6g practice. This certainly affects amps etc. Also if you weave with lay wire you will end up with a flat or below flush root pass.
Let us know all details and you will get more responses.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Smittie2121
    Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:16 pm

The coupon is a 2" pipe. Not entirely sure on wall thickness as I have now been called out to work.

I find the lay wire technique to work well for me with a tiny weave, just enough to make sure I have full fusion with the bevels. I just recently noticed that in Jody's videos he is using a 3/32 tungsten. So all the amps and techniques are based off that.

Since I'm new at Tig, I'm unsure if those amps would work with a 1/8 tungsten or will that change the amps.
taz
    Mon May 26, 2014 12:43 pm

Although both a 1/8 tungsten and 1/8 rod could work, this is what I would use to weld a 2" SCHD 80 in a 6G position
3/32 tungsten
1/8 gap
Feathered edge
85 amps
3/32 rod
Rod tangential to the pipe on the inside of the bevel and always in the puddle