Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Smittie2121
    Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:16 pm

Hey Guys,

New to the forum here. Over this past summer I have been successful in getting my CWB (all positions), 6010 root/7018 fill and cap, and just passed my 7018 all the way a couple weeks ago.

I have started working on Tig and seem to be picking up the basics pretty quickly. I am just trying to find out what peoples settings are at when they go to run their root pass on the 6g test.

Where I am practicing these are the specs for fit up and equipment used:
Gap - tight 1/8
No landing
1/8 tungsten
1/8 filler wire
Lincoln Electric Invertec V350
105 amps
Lay wire technique with a slight weave just to the edges, traveling fairly fast to not create a keyhole.

Just looking for other ideas to fool around with to see what is best for me.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey mate. Welcome to the page. Jody, the founder of the show, just this week released a new video showing ways doing exactly what you are talking about. On you tube and also this site.
Smittie2121
    Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:16 pm

Weldin Mike,

Thanks for the info. Looked up his videos and the only thing missing which is my concern is the size of tungsten he is using with those amps. I am not sure if it makes a difference or not.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Smittie,

The data you posted SAYS 1/8" tungsten.

That weld can be done with 1/16", if you know what you're doing, but if 1/8" is called, that's what you should use.

I can do any weld that calls for a 1/16 using a 1/8... it's all in the grind. You can make a huge tungsten come to a fine point, but you can't make a skinny tunsgten fatter to take heat.

As long as you don't exceed the power rating for the tungsten, any size will do.

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

We use 2.4mm for everything these days. Upto 180ampx.