Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Sparkee
    Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi, I just recently got back into school for my last level after working for a year since my last level. We are doing our 1g 2g 3g and 4g open roots first and its been a year since ive even seen a open root. I have gotten back into the swing of things for the 1g and 2g but the 3g we are doing is on a 45 degree incline and ive never attempted it yet, I was just wondering if anyone had some tips or tricks to help me pass this test. Ive also never done a 4g before. For my 1g and 2g I usually use a 1.8th land with a 3.32 gap at around 77 amps. So far this has been working for me if I use the whipping technique. I hear people say its easier to drag the roots in but I don't really wanna be messing around with technique before the test days. Am I in the right direction or do I need to rethink this.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Sparkee,

I agree it's a bit late in the game to rethink your method. If you're comfortable whipping roots in 1- and 2- positions, doing them in 3- and 4- is not a big stretch.

Changing technique entirely to a bury-rod (or drag) method should be started at the 1- position, and this puts you back where you began.

Welcome to the forum!

Steve S
Sparkee

So an update, I've passed my 1g and our 2g test is at the end of this week which I have managed to bend and pass a few already. The 3G 45 degree I am having some difficulty getting enough reinforcement on the root side. It's either I can manage to get the root in there with a rod and a half and have little reinforcement or put 2 to 2 1/2 rods in it and have more than I think I actually need. Any help maintaining the keyhole along the whole length of the plate? I ran my last 3G at 78 amps with a slightly larger than 3/32 land and Gap
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Good work, so far!

A question... You say the 3g is at a 45*... Is it still vertical, and canted to one side at 45*? Or is it canted toward you, so it's halfway to being an overhead?

Steve S
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

I have my students START prepping for the 3G by welding at the 45 degree angle. Then they transition to the 90. For open roots, I am a whip and pause guy.
Sparkee

I passed my 2g yesterday. The 3G is on a 45 towards me, so halfway to being an overhead. I'm not sure if my travel speed is too fast or what, but I'm having difficulty getting reinforcement on the backside. I am using a slight back hand inclination as i progress. I've tried dragging, whipping, still not having much success.