Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
StephenPerkins
    Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:31 am

How does someone get ASME certified? I keep looking for jobs and all these pipe welding jobs want asme or code welders. If you're not certified can you still apply for these jobs and the company will certify you? I'm just completely confused on the whole ordeal I read the article on here about getting certified but it still confused me. Any info would be nice thank you
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

StephenPerkins wrote:How does someone get ASME certified? I keep looking for jobs and all these pipe welding jobs want asme or code welders. If you're not certified can you still apply for these jobs and the company will certify you? I'm just completely confused on the whole ordeal I read the article on here about getting certified but it still confused me. Any info would be nice thank you

Call the hiring company and ask if you need to be independently certified or if you need to pass THEIR in house test.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

AKweldshop wrote:
StephenPerkins wrote:How does someone get ASME certified? I keep looking for jobs and all these pipe welding jobs want asme or code welders. If you're not certified can you still apply for these jobs and the company will certify you? I'm just completely confused on the whole ordeal I read the article on here about getting certified but it still confused me. Any info would be nice thank you

Call the hiring company and ask if you need to be independently certified or if you need to pass THEIR in house test.
Good answer.

I'm ASME certified... but... I'm specifically certified on stainless vessels and pipe, with thickness limitations on the vessels and O.D. limitations on the pipe.

You "can" get independently certified, but if it's your first go, you need your certification to match or approximate the job, the material, and the process.

These employers may be looking for previous certifications, match or not, to know that you know how to weld to a code and follow a WPS before they test you.

Steve S
StephenPerkins
    Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:31 am

So where would I go to find the codes I saw a book online that was 70 dollars but I didn't want to get it and be the wrong one
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Steven,
I agree with both John and Steve. I would ask more questions before you dive into the waters of independent qualifications. I too am ASME IV qualified/certified but through my employer, Brasfond USA. They paid for everything, which was quite expensive and I am only qualified to weld under their WPS. I cannot use my certificatins to weld under my company out of my garage. Being qualified under section 9 independently or riding on a old qual from a past employer will only show you can pass the tests and you will in fact have to pass a test under their WPS, as far as I know.

If you want to travel down the road of taking a test or two on your own you can. I caution you though that is is VERY expensive. The ASME IV code book alone is a few hundred dollars and I highly advise you purchase the current edition, new or used. The tests will start at a few hundred each as well. Keep in mind that if you fail you obviously have to re-take it and will be charged the full amount again. A draw backs of this independent qualifiction is for every new WPS you first have to do a PQR which involves diffrent testing methods according to what your material is and process used. Also, your PQR and WPS will ONLY work for you out of your garage so to speak and even then you are not actually welding to the code as the complete package is $15,000 to actually be able to do code work for yourself.

I only shared this little bit of information to give you and others reading a taste of what it is like to actually have/hold/maintain a ASME IV qualification.

As a sorce of reference ONLY, here is a outdated copy of ASME IV. It makes for a good read if you know what you are looking for but you cannot use it as law today because of the newest revisions.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... Zs0I0U-XhA
-Jonthan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Stephen, I sent you a PM.

Steve S
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

All the guys are right, I'm ASME IX certified for pipe and pressure vessels, then have other specific certs based on a company WPS or specific vessel, joint etc

I am lucky to have a testing center near me who certs AWS and ASME. I think the course with test at the end isbaround $1500-$1900 or if you have done pipe before you can go take the test for a few hundred.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB