Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
csolo
    Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:34 pm

Hey everyone, new here but have been a fan of the forum for a while. I have been looking for some information and am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

I have been a Process Engineer a company for a while now but started my career in welding. As I have been working at this company I've been finding places where over the years they have modified some of the machines or added walk ways and some of the issues I have found have been down right frightening. Floor supports for a mezzanine 14 ft above the shop floor welded with 7018, welded down!, or only welded on part of one side, massive slag inclusions in welds, ect. Ive been pushing to get a lot of this fixed, even offering to do it myself, but it doesn't seem to concern some of the higher ups.

My question is, to weld on/construct an overhead walk way or stairs, is there a welding certification required or at least a guideline to follow with OSHA?

I appreciate any help you guys can give in pointing me in the right direction, I want something I can point at as a standard to get these issues fixed, I don't want anyone getting hurt.
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

The Entire OSHA standard is available online which can allow you to search additional information, interpretations, and other information. If you have the paper version with you, the para below may help you .

1910.27(b)(6)
"Welding." All welding shall be in accordance with the "Code for Welding in Building Construction" (AWSD1.0-1966).
Gerald Austin
If I didn't say it in the post- Have a great day !
Greeneville Tn
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I would add, that for liability purposes, all man-carrying structure and vital-equipment carrying structure should be welded to AWS D1.1, the most common weld code for structure in the U.S.

The only things on any industrial or commercial site that might bypass a code are instrument stands and conduit brackets, and I, personally, would question that.

This does not imply every such weld should be inspected, but rather that every welder performing the job be qualified to a WPS for the weld(s) he is performing (passed tests proving he can perform the specified welds). Then, a qualified inspector should inspect a sample (10% is typical) of each welder's work.

If you truly fear the welds are inadequate, you can "anonymously" invite OSHA to have a peek. I put that in quotes, because you've spoken up about it, and they will know who made the call. If OSHA finds in your favor, you are protected by "whistleblower" laws, but I'd avoid that path, if possible.

As a process engineer, you have the skills to put together a powerpoint presentation of the questionable work versus the loads it is supposed to support times safety factor, and make a real case. (Yes, I realize Process Engineer does not equal Structural Engineer in this context, but unless you drink beer with a Structural Engineer on the same job, your skills will have to do.)

When I see "unsafe", I speak up, loud and often.

Steve S

Oh, and,

Welcome to our community!

Steve S
csolo
    Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:34 pm

Thanks Guys, I appreciate it. This all pretty much aligns with my original thoughts but I wants to see if there was anything else I might have missed.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Wow! Sounds like the guys who did the field installation didn't have a clue on how to weld; but I can't count the number of times I have seen that. I mean, I have seen stairs or structures that have great welds, and then one or two that are horrible. The difference between shop and field welds. But it shouldn't be that way. The guys welding in the field should have no problem laying down great welds. Or they can hit the road.

Think about fixing that structure before it gets overloaded and fails. I hesitate to make suggestions, but I would contact a structural engineer and ask him. This could be a very potentially unsafe situation.
txweld17
    Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:01 pm

I am wanting to pursue a career on the pipeline as a welder. Im wondering if i have to go through welding classes at a college or something to get certified like that or if i can just learn welding from someone that i know and just go out to the pipeline and pass their tests.

If anyone can help me that would be great.

or if you know somewhere in tx to get certified within 6 weeks or something like that

I basicallly need to know what i need to do to get started as a future pipelin welder
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Well I might as well give you the bad news. You ain't gonna be a pipeline welder is six week pal. If you are not already a skilled welder then yes go to a good welding school/class and that will teach you the basics. Then find a job somewhere that will let you get some practical welding experience. If you are already a skilled welder and just need pipe experience you might have a chance. But - yeah there is always a but isn't there - good luck finding a company that will hire you with NO experience pipelining. It ain't no piece of cake out there in the mud, the blood and the beer.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.

Damn.

Plain Ol' Bill,

I moved his post to introductions. I forgot to erase it here.

However, I told him about the same thing.

Steve S
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:Damn.

Plain Ol' Bill,

I moved his post to introductions. I forgot to erase it here.

However, I told him about the same thing.

Steve S

You sure about that, Steve? I meet plenty of guys who tell me how easy this is and how successful they will be in just a few weeks. As for me, I recently finished the ENTIRE Table of Contents of "Welding for Dummies". What do I know? LOL!

Boomer63 wrote:
You sure about that, Steve? I meet plenty of guys who tell me how easy this is and how successful they will be in just a few weeks. As for me, I recently finished the ENTIRE Table of Contents of "Welding for Dummies". What do I know? LOL!
Pretty sure. I told him it's not entry level welding, and demands high quality at high production. He'll need a ton of education and/or a lot of experience to even break out on the pipeline. I think you commented on the moved topic in the introductions section.

Steve S
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

@txweld Here is something I wrote a few years ago. I am by no means the authority on all things welding, but it may give you some things to think about. https://weldingclassroom.wordpress.com/ ... is-needed/
Gerald Austin
If I didn't say it in the post- Have a great day !
Greeneville Tn