Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

timothymass wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:
timothymass wrote:does anyone have any questions one should ask the advisor at the technical institute that I might not think of it would be appreciated?
I would ask about their job placement program... Ask for a list of companies they've successfully placed graduates with, with statistics. Then look at those companies. See if the companies they refer graduates to actually do work you want to do, at what skill level, and what potential for advancement/further education.

Your MIG skills will already get you a job in a fab shop on a visual alone, but without opportunity, it's a bit like assembly line work. The fact you're interested in education tells me that's not the kind of career you want.

Steve S
Hey Steve thanks yeah I make decent money right now for what I do I work in a union shop building industrial fans its a great place to work and I enjoy it but i hate getting complacent in life. I want to broaden my horizons and get life experiences as well really I want to go over the road for a while to get a nest egg and travel again I am an army brat so its in my blood to move around alot lol.
If you like to travel, look into the pipe fitter schools. Do your apprenticeship, get paid to learn, and you (generally) have a world class skill. Then head off to the wild west and do camp work. Go overseas. Do whatever. No one will ever be able to take that skill away from you. Also, note the name, pipe FITTER! I hear stories about noobs who get the 'welder' part but aren't to tight on the 'fitter' part.
    Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:16 am

I started welding studies at midwest technical institute and am having a blast its a little rough welding 14 hours a day. But hopefully it will be worth it thanks for your guys advice and I will post pictures soon to show my progression if you guys would like that?
    Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:16 am

WTFH wrote:Like I said acceptance criteria in the toilet. Here is an example of a student who was allowed to proceed to a more complicated task than he could handle. As you can see from the picture this poor guy has no clue how to run a 7018 uphill and more than likely had similar results even in the flat position. My guess, well I know, that throughout his training he never gained any mastery what so ever. BTW I’m pretty sure these were test plates, so this guy was considered skilled enough to test out?
As I said what do the school/instructors find acceptable and don’t be fooled by them spewing code crap, AWS this ASME that. See for yourself what they consider acceptable, it will speak volumes for the type of training your will receive.
John
goodness sakes they did him a disservice I can stick weld better than that now and I only started 4 weeks ago lol
Butcher
    Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:14 pm

timothymass wrote:thanks alot everyone sorry ive been crazy busy and they told me they have a 100% job placement of people who are willing to wrk which i am so thats good and they said if im not capable of performing a process they will guide me to something I can do I start on monday so ill keep you guys posted as of my progress.
livin the dream lol
Where I go to school has a 100% job placement record. To graduate you need to do a 127 hour or 129 hour externship (I can't remember which one). So either an hour under 16 8 hour work days or an hour over. I thought this was kind of odd but then the extra hour or 7 hours (assuming you are not told to leave once you hit your minimal required hours) probably counts as employment once you are out of your required hours zone.

Long story short, not such an impressive statistic when you see how it happens.

I complained a couple of times in a very professional manner about the lack of instruction I received. Nothing was fixed for my class but I do believe future classes will have a much better experience than I did.