Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
    Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:38 pm

I have a question regarding groove weld welder qualification under D1.1.
Is visual acceptance for the entire length of the weld being evaluated? Seem like a dumb question but 4.30.3 (4.8.2.1 has similar language) tells you when doing RT in lieu bend tests to ignore 1 1/4” at the beginning and end of the weld like the 1” at the beginning and end of the weld removed for bend testing. I would assume this would not include visual but who knows?
Another question is when bend testing how far off center if any can the bend be?

The latest copy D1.1 I have is 1996, if you could please site specific code language.

Thanks,
John
Learn 6010 and you will learn to weld
Follow the progress of my students on Twitter @PentaWelding
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

As I understand it, the VT covers the entire weld, including the use of run-off on backing plates, to assure the weldor knows how to begin and terminate the weld in multiple passes.

I'll ask Taz to comment on this, as he has access to more current standards.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:As I understand it, the VT covers the entire weld, including the use of run-off on backing plates, to assure the weldor knows how to begin and terminate the weld in multiple passes.

I'll ask Taz to comment on this, as he has access to more current standards.

Steve S
it's intereting that you say weldor and not welder Steve. I remember this being a part of a topic here on the forum, don't recall the final outcome though. In the 96 version of D1.1 it says Welder Qualification. Trust me it doesn't matter to me I could care less but seeing it in the code today caused me to remember the topic.

John

John,

"Weldor" vs. "Welder" is just something I've become accustomed to with the number of UK and dominion members we have here.

In British English, "Weldor" is the operator, you and me, and "Welder" is the machine. In American English, "Welder" can mean either.

You'll also catch me spelling "colour" for "color", and other Britishisms, since one of my earliest sets of books was a British-published encyclopedia.

Language is fun!

Steve S
taz
    Mon May 26, 2014 12:43 pm

The whole 5in should be visually examined.
See relevant AWS interpretation

https://app.aws.org/technical/interps/d1-2.58.pdf
Inquiry: For a welder qualification test plate, such as depicted in Figure 4.21, visual inspection of the
weld is required by Table 4.9, Note 1. Visual inspection is to be performed to the acceptance
criteria of 4.8.1.
(1) The question is whether the entire 5-in. length of the Figure 4.21 test requires the visual
inspection acceptance criteria to be applied, or whether it is the intent to exclude the 1-1/4 in. at
each end of the weld from evaluation, as is done for radiographic evaluation by subsection
(2) As a follow-on question, if the entire 5-in. length is to be evaluated, can the backing strip
shown in the figure be extended to allow a run-on/run-off area?
Response: (1) Yes. The entire length of the test plate must be subjected to visual inspection.
(2) Yes. Weld tabs may be used but are outside the area of visual inspection.

Makes sense, Thanks for the info. taz.

John

Thanks, Taz, for taking a moment to share.

Steve S