Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

I gave many, many test's to welders in preparation for boiler repair jobs down thru the years. I have seen funny things happen in the test booths as a result. I have walked in and found folks that had taken down the coupon and were rolling it on the table for the root pass - and another one gone. I have seen guys get into positions that a contortionist would have a hard time with trying to get around the tube keeping the torch in their right hand rather than come up the hill left handed. Even had one guy try to stand on his head on the off hand side - and another one gone. Had more than one guy put the root pass in downhand - another one gone. I've had guys do a beautiful root pass and get looked out for a crappy cap or arc strikes all over the place - and more gone. Found one guy passed out from taking too much relaxant out of a bottle - security took him out. Everyone on the job had to pee test - amazing how many guys could not pass one.

TIP - when taking a test guys you are not buying the welding rod. Trying to restart a rod you have already burned part of is begging for porosity. If your welding machine has a hot start capability use it when stick welding.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

I tested a group of brothers from Texas on a new recovery boiler job back in the 90's. I told them where the gas was and the toolroom and to get setup while I went to look at something. I came back a bit later and they were standing around with 4 or 5 tig rigs on the table and mad because they thought they all leaked. Said they wouldn't weld clean. They had gotten 2 bottles of 75/25 Ar/Co2.
Gerald Austin
If I didn't say it in the post- Have a great day !
Greeneville Tn
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

I had one guy ask me for some new tungsten because something was wrong with the one that was in the TIG torch. What?? Checked and he never swapped polarity. And another one gone down the road.
Caught a guy trying to hook up an oxygen bottle to the TIG - another one gone - If he had succeeded it would not have been pretty.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Those are great!

We do a simple weld test where I work, because the start pay isn't great, and we're only looking for basic knowledge and skills we can work with. That makes us a good place for an entry-level welder. Tests are 2" scd. 10 SS pipe, roll-out permitted, 1/4" SS TIG fillet in 1F or 2F, your option, same weld in MIG, and a 2" SS pipe-to-plate with a 1" pipe stub welded in and out. Visual only.

It's stunning how many people (who can usually do a fair MIG even if they've never done stainless) have no idea how to do the TIG and attempt it anyway.

Some jobs, you can bluff your way in to, but TIG pipe is not one of them. It amazes me how many people try. As you can see from our tests, it's pretty easy to see "can" from "can't".

Steve S
gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

plain ol Bill wrote:I gave many, many test's to welders in preparation for boiler repair jobs down thru the years. I have seen funny things happen in the test booths as a result.
Had I talked with some of you blokes a few years ago my welding experiences might have been easier.
I passed the TIG pressure test 2 years ago here in Australia. Different to US, 90mm dia, 6mm wall, steel pipe with 2 different and I'll use your term, 'coupons'(4 pieces welded into 2) One fixed in the vertical position(5G) and the other can be rotated in the horizontal(2G). 3 passes all in TIG and I spent 2 nights a week over more than a year trying to find a happy position in which to do that 5G. The test was 3 and half hours and I needed every minute. On the easier 2G the capping pass developed a nasty looking gas bubble, I was about to throw in the towel but instead decided to try and fix it so after careful grinding I re-welded and passed.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Thank you Bill for another great post! For the noobs out here .... pay attention to what this man is saying! I have seen all of these idiot moves - but I guess the one that still amazes me is the guys who blow out on the piss test; I mean, they come in and know that they are going to fail! I don't get that at all??!!
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

gnabgib wrote:
plain ol Bill wrote:I gave many, many test's to welders in preparation for boiler repair jobs down thru the years. I have seen funny things happen in the test booths as a result.
Had I talked with some of you blokes a few years ago my welding experiences might have been easier.
I passed the TIG pressure test 2 years ago here in Australia. Different to US, 90mm dia, 6mm wall, steel pipe with 2 different and I'll use your term, 'coupons'(4 pieces welded into 2) One fixed in the vertical position(5G) and the other can be rotated in the horizontal(2G). 3 passes all in TIG and I spent 2 nights a week over more than a year trying to find a happy position in which to do that 5G. The test was 3 and half hours and I needed every minute. On the easier 2G the capping pass developed a nasty looking gas bubble, I was about to throw in the towel but instead decided to try and fix it so after careful grinding I re-welded and passed.
Just love this stuff. Legend!
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

TRACKRANGER wrote:
Just love this stuff. Legend!
Yes and I really know now why it's called a pressure welding test.