Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
forrestderp
    Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 am

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone on here has gone through the process of obtaining an R stamp for their business? I am starting to get my poop in a group to launch my own business and one of the things I want to do is obtain an R stamp.

Thanks,
-sean
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Otto Nobedder has one at his shop that they just went through the process of getting recently.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

It's a big PITA.

And it costs money. $4500/year, if I heard it right.

There's a demonstration to a WPS, and an audit of your procedures to verify they conform to the code. Our audit included the state Fire Marshall. The audit included safety procedures, and confined-space rescue plans.

Welders doing the coded work must be certified (not just qualified) to ASME IX test standards for the pressure vessels/pipe being welded. Welders must perform a documented "passing" weld every six months or less, or they must re-test.

Sean, this is not meant to discourage you, but to prepare you for the bullshit headed your way.

Steve S
forrestderp
    Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:It's a big PITA.

And it costs money. $4500/year, if I heard it right.

There's a demonstration to a WPS, and an audit of your procedures to verify they conform to the code. Our audit included the state Fire Marshall. The audit included safety procedures, and confined-space rescue plans.

Welders doing the coded work must be certified (not just qualified) to ASME IX test standards for the pressure vessels/pipe being welded. Welders must perform a documented "passing" weld every six months or less, or they must re-test.

Sean, this is not meant to discourage you, but to prepare you for the bullshit headed your way.

Steve S
Oh I am well aware that it is not a cheap ordeal, I used to weld in a shop with an R stamp. The welding portion is pretty easy, it is all the paperwork that I am concerned about.