Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Butcher
    Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:14 pm

I have a weld test Thursday and was given the opportunity to practice the test just to know what to expect. It is 1/4" stainless steel with backing bar in the 2g position, 1/8" gap, 15 degree bevel on each piece, Tig welded, probably will be given 1/16" filler rod (308?). When I took the practice test the machine was set to 140 amps and it had an on/off button so I couldn't manipulate the heat via peddle or thumb switch. There will be a standard for inter-pass temperature so I don't have to guess when it is ok to lay another weld. The test will be xrayed to ASME specs. They might also have a 3G for me to do while waiting on the other piece to cool down.

I am just wondering what can help me out come test day. I have a lot of trouble because I cant feed the rod through my fingers, so I have to stick the rod in the puddle, stop welding, reposition my hand and start welding again.

I thought I was going to learn to weld when I started welding school in August, if I get this job I am really going to start to learn to weld.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I cannot imagine they will require 1/16" rod for a 1/8" gap. I'd choose 3/32 rod, given the option.

The simple switch is GREAT, if you can set 2T parameters on the machine. It's an excellent way to manage the heat, but it takes a li'l practice to master.

2T has upslope and downslope settings such that it's not "just" on/off. It's build-up/tail-down, and gives you excellent control over heat.

Practice every chance you can, and you'll soon master it.

Steve S