Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
philsdeuce
    Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:12 am

If a welder qualifies on a plate test, using 1G position, what size pipe is he certified to weld on?
kripl88
    Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:45 pm

Not to sound like an ass but is that a serious question? A plate test will only qualify a welder to weld on plate. It takes a pipe test to weld on pipe
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I believe a plate can only be used to simulate pipe in the matter of procedure qualification. For ease of set up. Not for welders qualifications
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I've read a few times that 3G and 4G can qualify a welder for structural and pipe 24" diameter and up.

Here is one quote: "Most codes allow a welder to take a combination of the 3 and 4G positions, which typically qualifies the welder for all position structural welding plus pipe that is a minimum of 24 inches in diameter"

From this listing: http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/weldi ... cation.pdf

Can anyone verify this?
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
kripl88
    Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:45 pm

As far as I know, plate can be used to develop weld procedure tests but not individual qualifications. A 1" plate test can qualify a weld procedure to through most sizes and thicknesses but the usual test for a welder is the 2" xxx heavy wall in a 6g position to qualify all sizes and thicknesses.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

According to AWS D1.1 Structural Steel Welding Code, a 1G, 1" thick test plate will qualify you for 1/8" to unlimited groove and unlimited fillets as well as 24" O.D. pipe groove and unlimited fillet.
-Jonathan
Attachments
2015-07-16 15.28.32_resized.jpg
2015-07-16 15.28.32_resized.jpg (41.75 KiB) Viewed 2885 times
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Been over the hill and down the road to see the elephant more than a few times and you learned me something! Hope I don't ever need the info but now I've got it just in case.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Phil - You are good 24" and up. But take the 6G. If you can pass a 2G and a 3G you can pass the 6G. If you can do the open root! ;)
BradlyD903
    Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:38 pm

an anyone give me advice for down hill welding with 1104 down hill stick welding + Amps "heat" for each specific rod used from a 6010 1/8 - 5/32" and 3mm for underground pipe with a bead layout diagram for stacking welds from root-fill & cap?

It will vary to what machine I'll be using but my guess its a 8bank in this test shop because its a single hand welder position opening. "But you never know what machine it may be"..

help needed.

I'm a up hill lo-high welder have been for several years, looking to take a test for a standard down hill procedure. I Dont have the rods to use or someone to give me a clue.