Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

135 is plenty hot on an overhead with a 1/8". 140 is the top suggested rating of the rod. I think I'd focus more on arc length, rod angle, and travel speed before going hotter. You "should" be able to find the sweet spot within the recommendations, and on a weld test for a job, you may have no choice (specific WPS for a job test...).

Steve S
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I'd fill at 130 or so and cap at 120.
Slight push angle.
You can move faster then you think....
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:48 pm

AKweldshop wrote:I'd fill at 130 or so and cap at 120.
Slight push angle.
You can move faster then you think....
Agreed.

I've only been teaching students since last October, but I noticed they all made the same mistake every time when they first started out, and that was they had too long an arc. All my students were used to feeding a rod downward, going with the flow of gravity, and once they had to go against gravity and feed upward they all went too slow and this caused them to long arc. They'd start out good, and then long arc, get back in the groove, and then long arc again. Keep a tight arc and move as quick as your amps and puddle will allow.
Tyler
Trapperdude464
    Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:56 pm

Thank you everyone I finally got some plate test pieces that I can practice on at the house. I will let you know how it goes thank you for everyone's advice
Trapperdude464
    Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:56 pm

Thanks all for your info and advice I have went on to pass my second structural steel test today!! I passed this one today for a job doing small-medium size steel structures around my house thanks for everyone's advice
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Glad we could help.

Rock on bro :)
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Congrats its a great feeling defeating those tests....
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Congrats! There is nothing like the feeling the first time you pass these tests!