Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Brett Henderson
    Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:37 pm

Useing laywire tech.. 3/32 gap 3/32 filler with bout 90 amps... whats the best way to get a good heavy root in mine is flush maybe a lil under in places how can i get a thicker bead on the inside of the pipe
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

There is typically a max over fill on the root that is pretty small be carefull. Try opening up your gap just a hair or turning up the amps by 1 or 2 at a time. Only change 1 thing at a time and make 2 or 3 try's before you make more changes.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Brett please tell us what size pipe you are welding a grade of wire.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Want more reinforcement inside? Push wire. You have to add material to get it pushed in.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
Brett Henderson
    Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:37 pm

Pipe is 2"sch 40 ive also practice with 3 1/2 sch 80 carbon an filler is er 70s-6
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Bill said it right... push more wire.

If your root is flat on the side you see, it will be flat on the side you don't. Feed enough that your root stands a bit convex on the side you see, and unless you're welding too cold, you'll see convexity on the inside. The next pass should be hot enough to burn in the edges of your root as you go, but don't linger across the middle. If you do, you can re-melt the root to the bottom, which can cause "suck-back", which is the internal reinforcement moving to the outside of the pipe. Fill one side, move very quickly across the middle, fill the other. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Steve S
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

For 2" sched 40 I like 95 amps but I fill the joint as well in one pass. Feeding enough wire is the key.
Have not heard of 3-1/2" pipe.
If its 3" I like 105 amps and if its 4" I like 115 amps for root passes.
You are using good wire (s-6), but can be a bit fluid if you don't know how to handle it. If pushing more wire in does not work for you, try s-4 wire. Pushing more wire should give you you desired results though.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'