Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Dus1500
    Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:49 am

I know getting hired by a company who needs certified welders would be the ideal way to go, but there are aren't much welders apprentice positions available here. I still want to have a certification of some sort for employment, and I am possibly thinking of doing some on my own. I took a look at the AWS site and there are no accredited testing facilities in the state of Hawaii on that list. The community college that I recently graduated from, does not offer certification. Next to flying to another state is there any other options ? advice ?

Thank you for your time
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

Hey,

Your easiest and cheapest option would be to work for a company that will certify you in shop, but under these conditions, likely your working conditions and pay might be lower than if you were already certified and could talk shit to them about it.

AWS certifications should be valid nationwide, so flying to another state is an alternitive, although an expensive one.

Check out the NCCER welder journeyman card, they are not common here on the east coast, but i have heard of them and seen them and they carry some weight too. There might be a local testing facilaty in your neck of the woods.

Good luck man,

-Rick
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

also check the local welding supply stores, sometimes they do weld testing. And I'll even bet there is a non-aws testing place nearby, but they test by aws standereds, which is what matters. ask around, and ask everyone, ask anyone!

--Rick