Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Hi Slaw! I teach welding at a college, so let me put in my two cents ... or what ever exchange equivalent that works out to be!

You are learning. When teaching, I sort of deal in percentages of the weld, based on the experience/skill level of the individual welder. For you, a beginner, from a cold start with no background, I would say you are getting better than 70% of your weld correct, which ain't too bad. My opinion is that the 100% capability comes with years of experience. A very seasoned pro KNOWS he is going to get that weld exactly right, and doesn't worry about - or at least doesn't worry about it too much. Beginners, those with LESS THAN 4000 to 6000 HOURS of experience, usually can't perform at that 100% level; which is why they typically aren't expected to do critical welds.

Now, I know most guys don't think in terms of the percentages, but it think it helps explain how a guy can do a weld 'perfect' on one pass, and only about 3/4 'perfect' on the next pass. Add the two welds together and you get that 'percentage', which I think really tells you where you are.

Welding is not easy and takes years to really master. Yeah, I am going to be nervous taking a test for a job, but chances are that I will do just fine and pass; I can't remember the last time I failed a job test. But I know that I have failed, and if I were taking a lot of these types of test, I might fail again!

Keep practicing. Be patient. Don't compare yourself to other welders, everyone is at a different level, but if you stick with it you all pretty much up up at the same place. I would say that for the amount of time you have been welding, you are where you should be. I understand you want to do much better, but have confidence and don't give up!
Gary
    Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:32 am

Hi there,

thank you Gary for your two cents, you have made a valid point for me I really appreciate it, you have very good approach as a teacher and can explain things to the bits. That's true about the experience and weld quality I know it from my other welding techniques.
I would love to get welding inspector with your approach on my exam. I won't give up, actually I'm getting more confident with every weld, the damn stick is not easy but I like the challenge and I want the melted steel to be obedient and make it to go on my way :lol:
Have not much more time but I know I can succeed.

Below few more welds, some of them good some worse.

4G
Jan 21st
Jan 21st
IMG_3482F.jpg (23.71 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Jan 21st
Jan 21st
IMG_3489F.jpg (25.32 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Jan 21st
Jan 21st
IMG_3494F.jpg (22.21 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Jan 21st
Jan 21st
IMG_3504F.jpg (23.86 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Jan 23rd
Jan 23rd
IMG_3511F.jpg (17.97 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Jan 23rd
Jan 23rd
IMG_3513F.jpg (18.55 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Jan 23rd
Jan 23rd
IMG_3518F.jpg (14.16 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Jan 23rd
Jan 23rd
IMG_3520F.jpg (21.8 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Jan 23rd
Jan 23rd
IMG_3522F.jpg (18.39 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Jan 23rd
Jan 23rd
IMG_3529F.jpg (17.69 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
3G
Jan 23rd
Jan 23rd
IMG_3534F.jpg (15.01 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Jan 23rd
Jan 23rd
IMG_3536F.jpg (17.74 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
3G Inclined at 45deg
Jan 25th
Jan 25th
IMG_3590F.jpg (14.79 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Jan 25th
Jan 25th
IMG_3593F.jpg (19.88 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Jan 25th
Jan 25th
IMG_3598F.jpg (23.82 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
I was experimenting with different current settings fallowing Josh's suggestion and it works :)

Thank you lads for your helpful input in my battle with time :mrgreen:
Slawkos

A few more pictures hope you're not bored yet :lol:

4G
Jan 25th
Jan 25th
IMG_3601F.jpg (23.24 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
Jan 25th
Jan 25th
IMG_3605F.jpg (21.4 KiB) Viewed 2776 times

Todays welds,

first is 4G inclined at 45deg
Jan 26th
Jan 26th
IMG_3615F.jpg (13.53 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
Jan 26th
Jan 26th
IMG_3610F.jpg (20.66 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
and 4G
Jan 26th
Jan 26th
IMG_3613F.jpg (18.33 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
Jan 26th
Jan 26th
IMG_3623F.jpg (24.18 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
tomorrow is the last day of my practices hope I will be ok.
I know I have problems with stop and start (you can see the lack of concistant root tie in), have to heat it up a bit longer, have to remember, each time I am doing it I think its enough but it is not :oops:
Slawkos
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

@Slawkos - Thank you for your compliments!

Obviously, some of your welds are better than others. Make darn sure of you position before you strike up any arc. I used to have a checklist - literally a list of things to do and how to set up - written out and taped to the wall of my booth. You must be in the same position everytime you do this. Obviously, you won't be able to do that in the field, but this is not the field, this is a test you are trying to pass. I think you have enough skills to pass this test, with a bit more practice.

One other thing I would suggest is that you run short stringers. Stop and evaluate what you are doing. If it looks good, keep doing that. If it don't look good, then change it until it does. Don't run long stringers or stringer after stringer the wrong way; all you are doing is teaching your body the wrong way to do things.

Good luck! Your skill will carry you through!
Gary
kblenker#22
    Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:23 pm

I'm a structural welder so I don't have any comments on the root pass but I run my 3/32 7018 a lot hotter. I run about 88 amps on 3g and around 95 amps on 4g, keep the arc short.

Boomer63 wrote:@Slawkos - Thank you for your compliments!

One other thing I would suggest is that you run short stringers. Stop and evaluate what you are doing. If it looks good, keep doing that. If it don't look good, then change it until it does. Don't run long stringers or stringer after stringer the wrong way; all you are doing is teaching your body the wrong way to do things.

Good luck! Your skill will carry you through!
Gary
Hi lads,

thank you Gary for another good tip, will take it on board, you keep me positive.
Today I was doing 2G GTAW open root on 3/8 plate, 37degrees bevel 1/8 opening no land, 1/8 rod (did not have any rods so used bare E7018 wire). The passes was SMAW E7018 1/8".
The story is that the cup was too big no7 it could not fit in to the grove (didn't have any other), and the tungsten 1/16" (way too small) :| I have set the machine for 90A to have nice heat and have to have long stick out because of the cup. Ending up with burned tungsten and pores (could not have more gas flow because of turbulences) the whole weld looked like after battle :evil: anyway have a look yourself
Jan 27th
Jan 27th
IMG_3658F.jpg (10.92 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
and the back
Jan 27th
Jan 27th
IMG_3660F.jpg (20.37 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
using right gear the weld would be near perfection :mrgreen:

then stringers 1/8 E7018 around 115A
Jan 27th
Jan 27th
IMG_3662F.jpg (14.77 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
Jan 27th
Jan 27th
IMG_3664F.jpg (13.04 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
Jan 27th
Jan 27th
IMG_3667F.jpg (15.95 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
Jan 27th
Jan 27th
IMG_3669F.jpg (22.51 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
because of the undercuts I have lower the power to about 110A and add one more stringer
Jan 27th
Jan 27th
IMG_3674F.jpg (18.56 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
Another position is 3G GMAW root 3/8 plate, 37 bevel and FCAW fill and cup, had only time to do the root downhill
Jan 27th
Jan 27th
IMG_3679F.jpg (11.5 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
started at 19V 250ipm but back of root was concave so adjusted 18V 280ipm and got nice flat weld. I'm going to finish it tomorrow (tomorrow is the last day, I have got confused yesterday :shock: )

I stay positive as DCEP ;)
Slawkos
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

You should abandon any idea of using bare stick rods for GTAW. All stick rod wire is low quality steel, all the good stuff is in the flux, you will end up with crap results as per your pic. GTAW wire is high quality filler with deoxydisers and additives. Using anything else is just a waste of time - especially when you are learning.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

kblenker#22 wrote:I'm a structural welder so I don't have any comments on the root pass but I run my 3/32 7018 a lot hotter. I run about 88 amps on 3g and around 95 amps on 4g, keep the arc short.
I forgot to say that I have burned all 3/32 :roll: and now using 1/8 with about of your amperage for the root and short arc as well the passes are about 110A. It would be too hot for me for the 'z' wave with the 3/32s

Thanks for sharing any suggestion counts and is very welcome :)
Slawkos

Coldman wrote:You should abandon any idea of using bare stick rods for GTAW. All stick rod wire is low quality steel, all the good stuff is in the flux, you will end up with crap results as per your pic. GTAW wire is high quality filler with deoxydisers and additives. Using anything else is just a waste of time - especially when you are learning.
Hi Coldman thank you for comment you're deadly right, I do know that already but haven't have any other choice, never welded any mild steel with TIG. Always welded only stainless for few years and only learning SMAW recently. Just curious how it goes for try so make one weld or not to do at all makes big difference isn't it. Now I know there is no difference
Slawkos

Hi lads,

I have to say that it was tough exam, especially the practical one it was only 3 hrs to do all welds flame cut a coupon following a drawing and cut all the welding coupons in a half.... literary battle with time but it was worth it I have passed and I am qualified Welder Journeyman now :D with 77% theory, and 70% of practical, I have screwed my oxy cut as I've cut too big hole. Anyways done and dusted I have learned a lot in last two months.
I would like to say a huge thank you for all the professionals from this great forum who made the great effort and put their own 2 cents towards my eduction I would not succeed without your's tips and good words keeping me positive.

Have a look yourself guys
exam :)
exam :)
Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 23.23.58.png (100.67 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
Well I have done all the welds on my practical very nice (pity I can't show you, the mobiles are banned on exams :( :D ) but the GMAW the root was kinda flatish. All SMAW welds were projected in my mind before any arc was strike together with the movements of the hands as Jody suggested in his great videos. My hands were shaken (it meant to be like another day on the workshop ;) ) but finally I've got there.

Thank you again!
Slawkos

Slawkos wrote:Hi lads,

I have to say that it was tough exam, especially the practical one it was only 3 hrs to do all welds flame cut a coupon following a drawing and cut all the welding coupons in a half.... literary battle with time but it was worth it I have passed and I am qualified Welder Journeyman now :D with 77% theory, and 70% of practical, I have screwed my oxy cut as I've cut too big hole. Anyways done and dusted I have learned a lot in last two months.
I would like to say a huge thank you for all the professionals from this great forum who made the great effort and put their own 2 cents towards my eduction I would not succeed without your's tips and good words keeping me positive.

Well I have done all the welds on my practical very nice (pity I can't show you, the mobiles are banned on exams :( :D ) but the GMAW the root was kinda flatish. All SMAW welds were projected in my mind before any arc was strike together with the movements of the hands as Jody suggested in his great videos. My hands were shaken (it meant to be like another day on the workshop ;) ) but finally I've got there.

Thank you again!
Congratulations, your efforts have paid off!
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Congratulations, Slawkos,

Now, the real education begins... Translating everything you've accomplished into a career. Working in the field is a different animal, and you'll soon see why, but there's a reason the tests are tough (and graded tough), and I think you'll be fine.

Steve S

HI there,
thank you guys it was an effort indeed and I'm happy it pays off, I can't wait to deploy the knowledge on the field and learn even more, have to find a job first ;)
Slawkos