Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks

Test I took late last year on .065" 304sst sheet, lap joint and fillet
Attachments
IMG_0014a.jpg
IMG_0014a.jpg (35.34 KiB) Viewed 4315 times
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

For some odd reason, Eisenhower seems to have his attention focused on the left side of that weld...

Nice work.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:For some odd reason, Eisenhower seems to have his attention focused on the left side of that weld...

Nice work.

Steve S
Wow, I wasn't thinking that deep Steve...

Thanks for the compliment :!:
Richard
Website
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

I love the weld; it is a work of art! But I am trying to figure out the dime ...
Does it mean that the weld only pays .10 cents?
Is it significant because it is Eisenhower? Does that welder like Eisenhower?
Should we all start carrying more dimes?
I just don't know.
Gary

Boomer63 wrote:I love the weld; it is a work of art! But I am trying to figure out the dime ...
I just don't know.
Gary
I remember when you could make a call from a pay phone for a dime, now I can't even find a pay phone! :roll:

The "dime" is just there to give a sense of scale.
Richard
Website
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Richard, I know that. I currently have a TIG class, and plan on showing them the pictures of your weld. I am toying with the idea of asking them something like: "what is the significance of the dime?"
Gary
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Gary,
Do it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

LtBadd wrote:
Boomer63 wrote:I love the weld; it is a work of art! But I am trying to figure out the dime ...
I just don't know.
Gary
I remember when you could make a call from a pay phone for a dime, now I can't even find a pay phone! :roll:

The "dime" is just there to give a sense of scale.
The last time I was in Jefferson, IA, there was still an actual payphone in an actual phone booth. That's a rare sight.

Steve S

Boomer63 wrote:Richard, I know that. I currently have a TIG class, and plan on showing them the pictures of your weld. I am toying with the idea of asking them something like: "what is the significance of the dime?"
Gary
Hey Gary, thanks for the compliment!

If you'd like a higher res copy PM me with an address and I'll send it, let us know how that goes.
Richard
Website
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Nice nice job. Wish I had some pictures of our work on food process piping 2 inch and 3 inch purged SS. When done and heat discoloration is polished it was often difficult to even see the weld area. Congrats on the test hope results were positive. We had a contractor who had a machine that did the weld inside a box purged, never saw them use it since all our work was done out on floor on a ladder or in a bad spot.

bruce991 wrote:Nice nice job. Wish I had some pictures of our work on food process piping 2 inch and 3 inch purged SS. When done and heat discoloration is polished it was often difficult to even see the weld area. Congrats on the test hope results were positive. We had a contractor who had a machine that did the weld inside a box purged, never saw them use it since all our work was done out on floor on a ladder or in a bad spot.
Hey Bruce
The result of the test is I was hired.
I have seen the polished welds like you mentioned, it is a beautiful thing as long as someone else is doing the polishing... :lol: I always hated polishing
Richard
Website
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

LtBadd wrote:
bruce991 wrote:Nice nice job. Wish I had some pictures of our work on food process piping 2 inch and 3 inch purged SS. When done and heat discoloration is polished it was often difficult to even see the weld area. Congrats on the test hope results were positive. We had a contractor who had a machine that did the weld inside a box purged, never saw them use it since all our work was done out on floor on a ladder or in a bad spot.
Hey Bruce
The result of the test is I was hired.
I have seen the polished welds like you mentioned, it is a beautiful thing as long as someone else is doing the polishing... :lol: I always hated polishing
I have a Metabo burnishing tool with a mandrel and these belts that hook together over pipe, makes polishing out 316L a breeze. I just did some 1/2" sanitary welded pipe last night...definitely a challenge.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Jarrod
    Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:50 pm

Its nice to look at.
But from my take on it it appears to
lack of fusion on the top and bottom toes. Also it could be a bit flatter than the convex
im seeing.
IMHO