Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks

bruce991 wrote:Nice nice job. Wish I had some pictures of our work on food process piping 2 inch and 3 inch purged SS. When done and heat discoloration is polished it was often difficult to even see the weld area. Congrats on the test hope results were positive. We had a contractor who had a machine that did the weld inside a box purged, never saw them use it since all our work was done out on floor on a ladder or in a bad spot.
Hey Bruce
The result of the test is I was hired.
I have seen the polished welds like you mentioned, it is a beautiful thing as long as someone else is doing the polishing... :lol: I always hated polishing
Richard
Website
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

LtBadd wrote:
bruce991 wrote:Nice nice job. Wish I had some pictures of our work on food process piping 2 inch and 3 inch purged SS. When done and heat discoloration is polished it was often difficult to even see the weld area. Congrats on the test hope results were positive. We had a contractor who had a machine that did the weld inside a box purged, never saw them use it since all our work was done out on floor on a ladder or in a bad spot.
Hey Bruce
The result of the test is I was hired.
I have seen the polished welds like you mentioned, it is a beautiful thing as long as someone else is doing the polishing... :lol: I always hated polishing
I have a Metabo burnishing tool with a mandrel and these belts that hook together over pipe, makes polishing out 316L a breeze. I just did some 1/2" sanitary welded pipe last night...definitely a challenge.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Jarrod
    Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:50 pm

Its nice to look at.
But from my take on it it appears to
lack of fusion on the top and bottom toes. Also it could be a bit flatter than the convex
im seeing.
IMHO