Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
BooRadley
    Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:07 am

Does anyone know what the best material is to study for the written examinations that are a part of the entry level welder certification for AWS? There are several modules, and the safety one can only be passed with a grade of 100%. I have been told by a master welder that the wording of the questions on all AWS certification exams messes everyone up, so I am trying to find the best study material I can find. Amazon.com isn't helping, and neither is google.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
BooRadley
    Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:07 am

sschefer, I am a student member of AWS, there is no student chapter in my town, and I have looked over the AWS website trying to find a book that I should be studying. There was one I ran across that was called something like 'a guide to training an entry level welder'. Well, that costs money, and the description of it that i read is not informative enough for a person to know whether or not it is something for a student to study in preparation for exams, or if it is something for an educator to study to prepare him/her to properly train a student. Maybe I just hadn't got enough sleep or something.

Anyways, if you know which publication I should study, please tell me. Pretty please, with sugar on it. :-(
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

I saw a book once in barnes and nobles for thaat sort of thing. I dont know if that was it, but i know books like that can be very hard to find, so a franchise book store that could find and order something like that for you might be your best bet.
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

I know what your saying. A lot of places develop the study material for their testing and the only way you can get it is to take the course. A lot of the time it's just to damn expensive for the individual and more focused on an employer paying the cost which they can then write off.

A couple of hundred years ago I went throught the Plumbers Apprentiship program and the only way I could get in was to have a job as a plumber and join the union. Fortunately my Dad was a plumbing contractor and you better believe I paid dearly albiet not monitarily. It's kind of funny now, I'm an IT director with a Master Plumbers card out of Local 38. Guess my Dad actually did beat some sense into me after all. LOL...
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..