Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
kcmo
    Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:09 pm

so my company wants to have certified welders? as far as i know there are no demands by customers for it not invoked in contracts. And no tractability of materials no heat numbers or mill test maintained on our product so no certification of materials. We run down hill on 1/4 inch a lot but the test is uphill kinda not relevant to what we do. If its quality welder hes after he needs to pay more!

Even so getting the cert can do nothing but help you, even if you don't get the raise. You'll gain valuable experience welding, see how you perform under the pressure of taking a test, and when you pass you'll be more valuable not only right now, but into the future.

If you plant a seed it takes time to see the result, but the reward does come.
Richard
Website
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

First "Certified Welder" is a VERY broad term. If someone writes a procedure on a spot weld, you could be a "certified welder" for spot welds.

There maybe things in the works your employer hasn't told you or he is raising the bar to weed out some employees.

Complaining about your pay will rarely get you a raise, you don't "get" a raise, you earn a raise either where you are or you go find it elsewhere. There are several factors, to name a couple (a) what does the market support in your area? (b) how do you add value?

Where I am this is how the interview would go....

You can pass the D1.1 in OH and VU......great we start here..$14.00 per hour
You can operate all shop equipment.......$14.50 per hour
You have a valid DL and good driving record able to drive our company vehicles.......$15.00 per hour.
You can read fabrication drawings........ $16.00 per hour
You also have CNC experience.........$18.00 per hour
You can read erection drawings and erect steel......$19.00 per hour
You have leadership ability............$20.00 - $30.00 per hour

The other side of the coin.....

If you are lazy, not dependable, a thief, cannot pass a drug screen or have a BAD ATTITUDE.......

You don't work for me. Not being a dick, that's just the way it works in business.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

kcmo wrote:so my company wants to have certified welders? as far as i know there are no demands by customers for it not invoked in contracts. And no tractability of materials no heat numbers or mill test maintained on our product so no certification of materials. We run down hill on 1/4 inch a lot but the test is uphill kinda not relevant to what we do. If its quality welder hes after he needs to pay more!
As many valid points as DLewis makes, I'd focus on this one: There may be something in the business pipeline you are not aware of that will require certifications, and if you have one, you're in on the money side of it, rather than the "shop labor" side of it. Work for and get the certification. As Dlewis said, if it doesn't pay off there, it will elsewhere.

Steve S
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

I wouldn't pick up the rod holder for $14 an hour. Suppose you expect them to furnish all their own tools at that rate too. Please tell me that was a joke.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Unfortunately Bill I wish I was joking. The market where I am at, if the only thing you can do is run a stick and pass a plate test with a backer you are a dime a dozen. I am very close to two other countries and I will leave it at that. But they also can't read a tape measure, you are just a welder going to a welding or rigging party every day. If you want to drift over toward Miami and can pass a 6G open root you can find kinda decent money, but NOTHING like where I am from. If a thousand guys are willing to work for it, your competitors will hire them, where does that leave you? The market is the market......sad.

The government says our state average is $20.19 for a steel erector, and a steel erector can erect, read drawings, etc. About where our lead guys are at.

Need to qualify the above: I am talking strictly structural, they don't go near Section IX. (The 6G's in Miami is just usually "chilled water" piping).

You are being paid in "sunshine dollars", right to fire you state.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

kcmo wrote:so my company wants to have certified welders? as far as i know there are no demands by customers for it not invoked in contracts. And no tractability of materials no heat numbers or mill test maintained on our product so no certification of materials. We run down hill on 1/4 inch a lot but the test is uphill kinda not relevant to what we do. If its quality welder hes after he needs to pay more!
To become a "certified welder" is actually quite easy, except for that pesky passing the weld test part. :lol: If that is what the company wants than I agree with everyone else that you should do your best to pass these tests and see what happens. Keep in mind, I know several companies, some of which I provide the weld training/certifications for, who just want to be able to brag to their customers that their welders are certified/qualified. Helps make them look authentic and for you keeps work flowing.

You first need to find out what specific test(s) your employer would want you to take and in turn what you will be qualified to weld. We can go on all day about taking tests but it would be a lot easier to advise if we know more specifics.
-Jonathan