It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:31 pm Advanced search

CWB Level 1 Practical Exam

Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks

CWB Level 1 Practical Exam

Postby Kasey » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:39 pm

Hello, I'm a noob here to the forums.
Just calling out for anyone that has recently passed the practical for the CWB Level 1, 2 or 3 welding inspector certification. I found all of the modules easy and the open book on the codes were fairly simple but I've failed the practical 3 times now. Any advice from anyone would be great!
Kasey

Re: CWB Level 1 Practical Exam

Postby Artie F. Emm » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:26 pm

Did the examiners give any feedback? Got any pictures?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Artie F. Emm
Weldmonger

Postby Kasey » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:46 pm

No pictures allowed and feedback costs the same amount as just taking the test again. The practical test now consists of 5 plastic samples compared to the 10 steel samples it had in the past. When you go for the test you don't even talk to an examiner. You just get the plastic coupons from the secretary, go to a room to mark down your findings and then leave. To me this test has very gray areas compared to the black and white which I'm told that it used to be. This test is driving me nuts as I've never been remotely close to failing any theory tests before and I've already taken 3 shots at this one! Anybody with any experience on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
Kasey

Postby Kasey » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:09 am

Going back in on Tuesday to give er' another shot. Anybody with some last minute advice would be great! If I pass I'll let you guys know where I went wrong as I've been told plenty of people have been struggling with this test.
Kasey

Postby bagrat » Mon May 09, 2016 7:28 pm

How did the last test go Kasey?

I also had issues with the visual, being plastic welds, walked out of the room feeling great, knowing I won't get 100% but 90% seemed about right, however, I just got test results and I was told I got 35% :shock:

Cannot believe it yet, I know everyone is trying to save money but have a practical test for welding inspectors that look at metal all day and then test them on plastic replicas??? Doesn't seem fair.

Almost thought one sample had some lack of fusion but being plastic, it's obviously one piece and fused, something that is easily determined on a real weld, made difficult when looking at a plastic weld.

Congrats to CWB, they will get so many more re-writers which = money since they "test" us on plastic now....
bagrat

Postby DLewis0289 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:02 pm

It seems rather odd...... I have done work in Canada (Toronto to Port Dover, Ontario). I have always been impressed with not only the professionalism of the CWB but also the Ministry of Labor. I also like the fact when you qualify Red Seal it's recognized by I think all provinces except Quebec (yea, yea I know how Quebec is.) It seem rather cheesy for you guys to examine "fake" coupons, CWB in my opnion is a class act. I will take a triple, triple please, pocket full of toonies.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
DLewis0289
Ace

Postby Kasey » Mon May 16, 2016 1:38 pm

Hey sorry for the late reply. Last test I passed with 100%.

They now make the exam instructions available on the CWB Group website. I looked it up and read them over and over as the secretary tells you when you go there that it's a reading test as much as it is a practical. I found one line that stuck out in the instructions - "Select one observed discontinuity, or circle No Discontinuity if none found." My first couple attempts at the test I would circle all of the discontinuities/defects I could find in each sample which is where I went wrong. Although I don't agree how the test is formatted - It's actually fairly simple if you don't disobey the instructions.

Good luck at your next shot!
Kasey

Postby mostafizur » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:20 pm

Hello Kasey,
In the exam there two sections on measurement n choosing whether acceptable or not.
Can you please tell me how to measure?

Thanks!
mostafizur

Postby mostafizur » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:46 pm

Kasey wrote:Going back in on Tuesday to give er' another shot. Anybody with some last minute advice would be great! If I pass I'll let you guys know where I went wrong as I've been told plenty of people have been struggling with this test.

needed some advice. Is there any way I can connect you?
mostafizur

Postby Otto Nobedder » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:17 pm

Kasey's stats say he last visited May 19, 5 days after he joined. It's not unusual for someone to come here with a specific question and move on after it's answered.

There are others here familiar with that test, though. You may need to start a fresh topic to get their attention, though.

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Next

Return to Welding Certification - Stick/Arc Welding, Tig Welding, Mig Welding Certification tests - Welding Tests of all kinds