Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
jadesna
    Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:13 am

I have been hearing a lot of welding certification programs. Will any of these certifications help me get a job overseas?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Certifications will help you land an interview and weld test.
Rarely will a job accept your certs at face value; They all want to test you to their particular procedure.
Holding certifications proves you've passed tests in the past and are likely to do so in the future, and that's where their benefit lies.

Steve S
jadesna

Otto Nobedder wrote:Certifications will help you land an interview and weld test.
Rarely will a job accept your certs at face value; They all want to test you to their particular procedure.
Holding certifications proves you've passed tests in the past and are likely to do so in the future, and that's where their benefit lies.

Steve S

I need some more details as I am planning to go overseas. Will the certificate of this course be valid http://www.weldtechtraining.com/welding-courses?? What type of certifications are accepted? Is there a standard certification? Or can I chose from local institutions which offer welding certifications?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

What do you mean by over sea? What countries do you plan to look for work in?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
jadesna

Poland308 wrote:What do you mean by over sea? What countries do you plan to look for work in?
I want to go to US. It is kinda hard to get a work permit. Will my certification be valid?
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

jadesna wrote:
Poland308 wrote:What do you mean by over sea? What countries do you plan to look for work in?
I want to go to US. It is kinda hard to get a work permit. Will my certification be valid?
You'll have to first:

- get certifications/training/experience
- apply for jobs at USA based firms while still living in your home country
- get hired by an USA based company
- get them to sponsor your visa and work permit applications
- then you can move to the USA

some explanations/hints/tips:
http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us- ... -visa.html

Without a sponsoring employer you pretty much have no chance to get a work permit/visa for the USA.

This work permit you need to extend periodically so you need to keep a job and a sponsoring employer. If you do not have this any more you'll have to leave the country again and re-start.

If you want to obtain permanent residency and USA citizenship you have to first stay employed and then start the whole application process (eg. greencards) to become a US citizen. But that's a whole different process and a lead-on step from the first.

Bye, Arno.
Dandee
    Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:03 am

I'm guessing it's the same process for other countries? E.g. Australia or even Canada

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Dandee wrote:I'm guessing it's the same process for other countries? E.g. Australia or even Canada
It varies a *lot* between various countries and regions, but indeed many countries do use some form of system where you first need to get an employer willing to hire you to be able to obtain a temporary work- and living-permit from the government in the country.

And it then depends on wether or not you want to gain permanent residency or citizenship in a country if you need to start going through more procedures (and in some cases it may not be possible at all).

In any case it's very important to gather as much data and facts beforehand from things like a country's embassy to get an idea on what is required and how you can proceed.

Also don't underestimate the cost of living in different countries. It may seem in some cases that wages are very high and that's attractive, but this is often paired with very high costs of living (rent, food, fuel, etc.) and/or very high taxes, so below the dotted line it may not be that diferent.

Also expect several countries across the world to also have rules about needing to be able to understand and read/write the local language at a certain proficiency level (eg. need to pass a test) before they will issue work-permits and such.

The last I don't really see as a problem as IMHO it's simple common courtesy to learn the local language and customs in a country if you intend to work and live there permanently. Doing so hugely increases chances of being hired in the first place as it shows a willingness to 'do it right'.

A good method to get some idea if it's something for you is to first see if there's a local contracting firm in your country that does international work. That way you can get sent out to far away jobs for shorter timespans (eg. a few months at a time) but get an idea on how it is to work in other countries and perhaps get more contacts with potential employers in the different regions.

Bye, Arno.