Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Shastri11
    Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:30 am

While we were welding WCB material we hardly got chattering sound while welding. But this one batch of 7018 rods we procured is producing this chattering sound plus there are lots of spatters. The electrical characteristics we used are same as the previous one.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Double check to make sure you are electrode positive.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Shastri11

Yes the polarity we used is DCEP.
Poland308

If nothing changed between the batches than the rod itself then it may very well be a rod issue. But just because it sounds diferent doesn't mean it's bad rod. There are several times I've switched brands i.e. Lincoln, esab, and a few others and noticed subtle differences not always a bad thing. It does mean your paying attention to the small details. Do the welds look noticeably different than before? Is there problems with slag coming off hard? Or any other odd things that make you suspect these rods?

Josh
Shastri11

I have experienced lot of spatters coming while welding the material. Also the weld metal is not deposited uniformly.
Poland308

Try drying a few pounds to see if it helps.

Josh
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

That happens from time to time, Poland is right try to dry em, but I have run into uncooperative rod before. Sometimes changing from reverse to straight will help, moving ground around to different places and sometimes just throw them into the dumpster.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla