It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:36 am Advanced search

Showing up to take a welding test

Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks

Showing up to take a welding test

Postby DLewis0289 » Sun May 08, 2016 8:32 am

When we hire welders it is a pretty straight forward process. Fill out application, background check, welding test/interview, drug test. The girls up front will call you and tell you a date and time to come in for your welding test after you pass the first two hurdles.

If at all possible show up ready to go. Have your own hood, welding gloves, safety glasses, steel toe boots and dress appropriately for welding.

Numerous times guys show up in tennis shoes, and a Justin Bieber tank top or some shit and that's it. In all fairness I don't know your circumstances so I will let you borrow a hood, grab you a new pair of welding gloves, give you a pair of safety glasses and give you those goofy ass temporary duck looking yellow strap on safety toes.

And know you have to pull the trigger on a MIG gun, not tap and strike it against the work piece, not joking, it happened once.

It just occurred to me......I have become my grumpy Dad :lol:
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
DLewis0289
Ace

Re: Showing up to take a welding test

Postby LtBadd » Sun May 08, 2016 10:48 am

Man you're picky, although I can't imagine someone would risk burning a hole in a JB tee shirt. And if your MIG units don't have HF starting capability they must be really old! [/sarcasm] :lol:
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
LtBadd
Weldmonger

Postby DLewis0289 » Sun May 08, 2016 11:05 am

If you wear the JB shirt you only have to take one test.....1/4" 7024 Overhead, I don't discriminate.
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
DLewis0289
Ace

Postby Diesel » Sun May 08, 2016 1:22 pm

Wanna add, get your nicotine before. Seen some people freaking out cause it's been 3 hours since they had their fix. Granted a few were in need of some other type of drug..... I don't know where some of these people come from but you don't see me signing up to be a chef. I wanna give everyone their chance but I definitely don't like my time wasted.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
Diesel
Guide

Postby DLewis0289 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:45 pm

Lol I am from Illinois originally, it's called Meth.
DLewis0289
Ace

Postby plain ol Bill » Sun May 08, 2016 7:03 pm

Was working a job on the Oregon coast years ago and staying with some friends. I had been there several weeks so decided to give them a few days privacy and I drove around Washington. Dropped by the hall there to visit with another friend & he wanted to know if I wanted to test for a job there - long term job so I said yes. Turns out I showed up to take an all position unlimited thickness plate test with a borrowed hood wearing a pair of Tony Lamas ostrich skin boots, and a nice western shirt. I remember the weld tech giving me "the look" when he gave me the coupons. About four hours later I was done, straps bent and gone to work without any holes in the shirt or boots. That job lasted 9 months of 7-12's.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
plain ol Bill
Guide

Postby DLewis0289 » Sun May 08, 2016 7:16 pm

Now let's be fair Bill lol,

I'm talking about the boys with fender washers in their ears. I see an old hand walk in with Tony Lama's on and can tell in 3 seconds after he strikes an arc this ol boy has been doing this a day or two. I pull you off the test and take you out to lunch so we can discuss how much we need to pay you to stick around.

I am originally from Illinois and no offense against Florida, or at least where I am at......it's different. I gave one fella my whip with my twist stinger and the rod fell on the floor twice before he put 2 and 2 together.

EDIT: In all fairness I have a guy with fender washers in his ears and a nail in his tongue and he is a damn TIG artist, can't judge a book..........
Last edited by DLewis0289 on Sun May 08, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DLewis0289
Ace

Postby Artie F. Emm » Sun May 08, 2016 7:18 pm

DLewis0289 wrote:It just occurred to me......I have become my grumpy Dad :lol:

Some time back i realized i have become my Dad, too. I embraced it- he was a smart guy, and good looking too!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Artie F. Emm
Weldmonger

Postby Diesel » Sun May 08, 2016 7:30 pm

DLewis0289 wrote:Lol I am from Illinois originally, it's called Meth.

Yea good ol IL. I need to get out of here. I can remember in high school kids doing lines in the bathroom between classes and coming back from lunch out of their mind. Sad to see. I'd say out of 20 applicants, 12 will fail the drug test, 13 will fail the weld test, 15 the math test, and 16 won't show up the first day or get fired in a week from not showing up. Can't believe you give somebody a job and they don't even get out of bed or come sober.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
Diesel
Guide

Postby Poland308 » Sun May 08, 2016 11:53 pm

Bout right 75%
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Next

Return to Welding Certification - Stick/Arc Welding, Tig Welding, Mig Welding Certification tests - Welding Tests of all kinds