Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

A local factory here in Wooster told me several times they will take 10 applications, 2 will pass the drug test, out of those who show up, and eventually one will stay on long term. Sad really. The drug test is the "killer" here. I just don't understand that.

A friend that works for a company that builds pressure vessels told me a story of a young kid that showed up for his welding interview in a full suit. He obviously had to take his weld test as he was dressed.

There is such a thing as dressing for success but when you will be wearing a welding jacket and gloves don't show up for a welding job dressed how you would never be when employed. I will also agree that there are to many who show up for a weld test not prepared for a weld test. A place I used to work wouldn't test you if you didn't bring your own gear. I agree with that. If you want a welding job and I call you in for a weld test and tell you to bring your welding gear and you don't bring it, well, you just don't need to work for us.
-Jonathan
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Superiorwelding wrote:...and tell you to bring your welding gear and you don't bring it, well, you just don't need to work for us.
Call it the "can he follow instructions" portion of the weld test.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

^Well chances are, if he doesn't have his own gear he isn't a welder. Just sayin. I bring my own with a 2nd pair of gloves, lenses, extra wheels, even my die grinder comes with sometimes.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
thatoneguy
    Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

My first weld test I got an email saying when to come in for the interview. I figured "Ok this is just the interview part. So I'll dress casually nice" when I got there he asked if I was ready to take the test in those clothes.... Thankfully I had all my gear and a change of clothes in my pickup! He never let me live that down.
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
Bsmith
    Wed May 25, 2016 7:38 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:A local factory here in Wooster told me several times they will take 10 applications, 2 will pass the drug test, out of those who show up, and eventually one will stay on long term. Sad really. The drug test is the "killer" here. I just don't understand that.

A friend that works for a company that builds pressure vessels told me a story of a young kid that showed up for his welding interview in a full suit. He obviously had to take his weld test as he was dressed.

There is such a thing as dressing for success but when you will be wearing a welding jacket and gloves don't show up for a welding job dressed how you would never be when employed. I will also agree that there are to many who show up for a weld test not prepared for a weld test. A place I used to work wouldn't test you if you didn't bring your own gear. I agree with that. If you want a welding job and I call you in for a weld test and tell you to bring your welding gear and you don't bring it, well, you just don't need to work for us.
-Jonathan

Its a killer in most places. Sad but true. Anytime you make good money there is a chance of drugs.
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I don't work in a welding job, but in an aerospace tooling company that still requires a drug free workplace due to the industry rules and various customers that we supply with tooling.

We have preemptive drug testing upon the offer of a position, option of random testing, and mandatory testing if there are any accidents, all listed in the employee handbook, and briefed before someone is even offered a job.
This seems to cut down on how many are using and trying to work there, but in any group you get some who think that they're above the rules, or just think that they won't get caught.

The military is the same way, but I was shocked how many idiots thought that they would somehow escape being tested. In the 1.5 years that I was in one unit at Fort Lewis in Washington, I am fairly sure that we were sending ~10% of the unit for samples every week or two, random selection based on the last number of your social security number, as rolled by the first sergeant that morning.
A few years later I was working with an Air Force unit and went from no samples given for 4 years, to doing them 3-4 times in a short period of time. "Random selection of personnel" they say...

In both situations, it was amazing how many idiots got popped for one or more drugs. Heroin, pot, speed... One military school did a drug sniffing dog search of the barracks while I was stationed at the base, and caught one student with ~1kg of cocaine, among other things! Not only warned numerous times before enlisting, but then possession of "dealing" quantities on a federal installation, making it a federal crime. Extraordinarily idiotic, whoever that person was.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I work in a place where the boss would not bother with random drug testing (the performance requirements of the job would quickly give away a user and get him a for-cause test), but, like Josh's situation, our clients want to see a "drug-free workplace" program in effect.

The concept bothers me personally, but not professionally. I understand the need to be assured that we don't have some tweeker blasting through the work we do, or some stoner burning one at lunch before doing critical work.

It bothers me personally, because it's a presumption of guilt, requiring one to prove innocence, which is the opposite of the American justice system.

It's a catch-22, as there is no present way to tell if one's positive result comes from relaxing Friday night, or from having a "wake and bake" breakfast.

I'm willing to accept it as-is, though. It's a matter of priorities. If smoking a joint on Friday night is worth risking your job, your priorities are wrong for my workplace. If you're in to Meth or Heroin, you have bigger problems than simple priorities. We had one painter's helper who was in to Heroin. He stole about $45K worth of stuff to sell at the scrapyard for maybe $600. Something the boss said somehow got me on the suspect list (I got a public apology for that), so he and I went in for questioning. I think the cops had it figured... He rode in the back of a cop car, and I drove myself to the station for questioning. They put us in adjacent rooms, and left me alone. I got to hear him questioned through the wall, and learned a great deal about him I did not know. In the end, I was only asked one question... I was shown a picture of a stolen part found at a scrapyard, and asked if I could identify it.

This kid's dad then tried to bribe my boss into dropping the charges, so that tells you how he was raised...

So I don't complete the hi-jacking of this topic, I'll add that I, too, have dressed nice/casual for the interview, but always carry all the gear I need to test. I went to one interview, where I was told in advance I would not be testing at that time, but took my stuff anyway. When they found out I had dual-shield experience, they asked me to schedule a test. I told them I only needed a place to change, and could test now. They hired me halfway through the test.

Steve S
The_Fixer
    Fri May 13, 2016 3:54 am

oops, something went wrong. I'll sort it out later...
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Diesel wrote:
DLewis0289 wrote:Lol I am from Illinois originally, it's called Meth.
Yea good ol IL. I need to get out of here. I can remember in high school kids doing lines in the bathroom between classes and coming back from lunch out of their mind. Sad to see. I'd say out of 20 applicants, 12 will fail the drug test, 13 will fail the weld test, 15 the math test, and 16 won't show up the first day or get fired in a week from not showing up. Can't believe you give somebody a job and they don't even get out of bed or come sober.

Wait ... I add up those numbers and come up with 56? I thought you were testing 20 guys? Where did the others come from? Did they hear it was going to be a weld test and show up to buy drugs from some of the other guys testing?
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Boomer63 wrote:
Diesel wrote:
DLewis0289 wrote:Lol I am from Illinois originally, it's called Meth.
Yea good ol IL. I need to get out of here. I can remember in high school kids doing lines in the bathroom between classes and coming back from lunch out of their mind. Sad to see. I'd say out of 20 applicants, 12 will fail the drug test, 13 will fail the weld test, 15 the math test, and 16 won't show up the first day or get fired in a week from not showing up. Can't believe you give somebody a job and they don't even get out of bed or come sober.

Wait ... I add up those numbers and come up with 56? I thought you were testing 20 guys? Where did the others come from? Did they hear it was going to be a weld test and show up to buy drugs from some of the other guys testing?
How did you come upon this again lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Boomer63

How did you come upon this again lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk[/quote]

Well, you start with 20 guys, then you have 12 fail the drug test, 13 fail the weld test, 15 the math and 16 who won't show up the first day. I see my math is wrong. I think I forgot about the extra 16 guys who won't show up the first day. OOPPS! LOL! But I think that the assessment is just about spot on!
Gary

I see what is meant by this statistic....

Out of any 20 guys who apply, if the drug test is given first, 12 will fail... If the weld test is first, 13 will fail... If the math is first, (the guy quoting this statistic will fail... :lol:) 15 of them will fail, and if you just tell 20 idiots they're hired, 16 won't show.

"There is no truth, there are no facts. Just data to be manipulated." Joe Walsh--"The Garden of Allah"

"When they own the information, they can bend it all they want." John Meyer--"Waiting on the World to Change."

Steve S
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Figures never lie But liars can figure.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Poland308 wrote:Figures never lie But liars can figure.
I like that. I might borrow/steal that.

Steve S
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

That's how I got it :D
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Boomer63

"Figures never lie, gut liars can figure" Wow ... who would figure that?
WildWestWelder
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

When I had my large shop (CNC machining) I always told everybody that I don't tell you what time to leave your house I just tell you what time to be here. Everybody also knew that they had to come dressed for work. I was always impressed with prospective employees showed up for an interview dressed so they could go to work right then and there. I never did like it when somebody would show up with slacks and a tie for a machine shop position.

I will dress nice for an interview, but it's "work nice", not "casual Friday" nice. I also would bring a duffel with everything I need to test on the spot if asked.

All you have to do to look like you know what you're doing (and get that test) is come prepared. We've had jokers show up in shorts and sandals, Gulf Coast casual dress.

Steve S
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:I will dress nice for an interview, but it's "work nice", not "casual Friday" nice. I also would bring a duffel with everything I need to test on the spot if asked.

All you have to do to look like you know what you're doing (and get that test) is come prepared. We've had jokers show up in shorts and sandals, Gulf Coast casual dress.

Steve S
Then you tell them to do a weld test on overhead or vertical short circuit mig. One guy came to welding school with the holiest jeans I've ever seen. I looked at him and said-don't go weld today, I don't like the smell of burning denim. It would be kind of funny to watch a guy weld with sandals and shorts-I can see it now. A lot of dancing, shouting, and hair lost.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

We usually don't bother. You're not supposed to step on the shop floor without safety-toe shoes or boots. Show up without those to a job with welding, and it's a "No, thank you."

Steve S