Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
cheezy
    Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:06 pm

I am looking for tips on testing with Innersheild wire 233 3g and 4g positions.I am haveing trouble mainly with draging pushing seems to work better but doesn't feel right :roll: :?: any tips are appreciated
Sarge

Welcome. Are you a welder? Just checkin, with your signature and all.
Be Innovative.
Goal is perfection, but excellence is Acceptable.
Powermig 255C
Powermig 350MP x2
175 squarewave
Weld-pac 100
Hypertherm 600
Hypertherm 1250
4m welder
    Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:23 pm

shipyard welding?
cheezy

Yes i am a welder been an ironworker for 24 years and trying to broaden my welding techniques.I haven't welded with wire in probably 15 years.My main problem is that I weld good for about 4 inches then it just turns to sh#$ and falls.I've tried dragging and pushing the push feels and looks better but told that I am suppose to drag.Any opinions are appreciated.What I am really trying to do is move into a different field of work as the fact that there isn't much Union Ironwork out there and I am needing to move on.Plus I'm about tired of wearing myself out climbing around on the iron.
4m welder
    Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:23 pm

gun angle? travel speed...no gas coverage, easy fix if it's gas shielded..good luck, you'll work it out
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I always push 3&4g, and 3&4f positions. If you drag 4g, the heat builds up at the back of the puddle after a few inches and either drips out or leaves a bigass grape.
cheezy

Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll just keep plugging away at it. Now I remember why I always hated wire!!!
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

I always had trouble with fluxcore as well. pushing uphill can be difficult without correct wire settings, gun angle, ect.

I feel that a good uphill(3g) method is the upside down triangle method. You can see this here. http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ver ... nique.html

(this is for mig i know but the concept is very similer)

4g i feel is better to push, this seems to get more penetration, which a weld inspecter will be looking for.

Dragging i feel is more usable in a shop enviornment, where an inspection might be less prone and speed is priority.

best of luck,

-Rick
cheezy

thanks for the tips im going to try that upsidedown trick wanting to test on this thursday welds are looking pretty good the instructor if thats what you want to call him says i am doing good and should pass i dont know i think i am alot pickyer than he is pretty rough on myself ya know

We like to call ourselves craftsmen, so we are usually our own worst critics.
cheezy

Just an update-Welding is looking a whole lot better found my comfort zone still dont feel ready to test yet but no hurry as there aint any work around-FOUND THE MAIN PROBLEM WAS I AM OFFICIALLY OLD AND HAVE BOUGHT MY FIRST CHEATER LENS LOL

LOL, cheezy,

I almost busted a plate test a few years ago. That's when I discovered I needed glasses! :D

It makes a hell of a difference when you can see what you're doing!

Steve