A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
jtholt
    Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:41 pm

I am looking to get back into welding as a hobby and doing some things for friends and such. Getting closer to retirement time and I am looking forward to it and have several projects in mind.
I have the option to purchase one of three available machines and need help in making a good purchase. The following are my options:
Item # 1. A used Miller Synchrowave 250. It comes from an aircraft repair facility and is certified as req'd by FAA to meet factory specs. It has gauges (amp & volt) and all controls. It comes with a used water cooler, rolling stand and nothing else for $3500.00
item # 2. New Invertig 221 by HTP with water cooler and accessories for approx $3000.00.
Item # 3. New Everlast PowerTig 325 EXT with water cooler and accessories for approx $3000.00.
I am really leaning towards the Everlast machine. It has a 5 yr warranty, but I wonder about repairs in Dallas Tx area.
Any advice, input, direction would be very helpful. I am looking to buy in approx 2 weeks. Thanks...John :D
Drunken Moose
    Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:53 am

I can't speak for the 325 ext, but i have the 250ex and love it. I'm on the Canadian side, and the dealer here was fantastic, answering all questions, getting info out to me about shipping very quick, and I received my machine only 3 days after ordering. It's only about a month old, but has run flawless on both the tig and stick side. I don't have a water cooler yet, so purchased an air cooled torch which plugged in easily to the dinse connector. Very little experience with tig (had only ever done scratch start using an idealarc 250) and found the everlast easy to work with and understand, even playing with pulse settings a little. Just a noob with tig, but there's my 0.02 for what it's worth.
JDawg
    Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:08 pm

If you can test and verify it works, consider the Syncrowave. I've always had good luck running Miller machines on a job, though I've never been willing or able to buy one for myself. (Blue paint is expensive! :lol: ) It should have pretty much anything you need for TIG or stick welding. Everlast has a five year warranty but the peace of mind that brings comes with the uncertainty of how long Everlast will, er, last. You can be pretty certain Miller will be around to provide parts and repairs 20 or 30 years from now. Will Everlast? I hope so (keep the big guys on their toes) but it's not as certain.

The Everlast machines do tend to have more or nicer features though.
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

I vote for the HTP.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

I've had my HTP for several years now.
water cooled version 221. great machine.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

jtholt wrote:It comes with a used water cooler, rolling stand and nothing else for $3500.00
Does "nothing else" mean the Miller has no torch, not even a ground lead? If so you should count on a minimum of $200 more to replace them.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

There's a user on weldingweb.com selling a 220 volt (not dual voltage ) water cooled HTP 221 with extras for $2500. And another selling an air cooled unit fot $1900.
Tom Osselton
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 am

Artie F. Emm wrote:
jtholt wrote:It comes with a used water cooler, rolling stand and nothing else for $3500.00
Does "nothing else" mean the Miller has no torch, not even a ground lead? If so you should count on a minimum of $200 more to replace them.
Don't forget the pedal he's probably looking at a good 5 - 6 hundred. I bought a Miller 351 with cooler on kijiji for $2500.00 then picked up everything else to get it working, no pulse though.
jtholt

Thanks to all for for your replies to my post. The Miller machine comes with nothing but used water cooler and machine on a rolling base. No cable, torch or foot pedal. So I'm probably looking to spend another $500.00 or more on hook-up. Plus if it does need some repairs soon, I understand they are expensive. It is just a roll of the dice on the Miller plus about $1000.00 more than other machines. The salesman from Everlast says they will sell me a new Powertig 325 EXT machine, new water cooler and accessories that come with both machines, shipping and all for $2900.00. That saves me a grand over the Miller. I haven't contacted the folks at HTP but they may match the Everlast price, maybe. The Everlast gets good reviews and has 5 year warranty. I know, will they be around for five more years ? Will HTP be here 5 more years ? I am age 68, I don't know if I will be here 5 more years. I'm still leaning toward Everlast machine as It is a little higher amperage output than the HTP. However, a month ago I would have bought the HTP without a doubt. I am still open for more suggestions, pros and cons and again thanks for ALL replies. John
jtholt

Well I talked to Alex at Everlast and we struck up a deal. He is going to send me their new Powertig 350 EXT (a new and improved 325EXT), upgrade me to their new SSC type foot pedal and include the 220v water cooler (which plugs into the back of the welder), shipping included for $2900.00. This also includes their accessory package (torches, leads, clamps and argon regulator) as well. The new stuff won't be available for shipping for approx one month which is Ok as this will be used more for hobby than for work and there is no rush. The money seemed fine, I just hope the new welder proves itself. I may try to post a few pics when the stuff arrives. I am always a little nervous about new products and usually wait until some reviews are available before buying an item, so this is me rolling the dice.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

jtholt wrote:Well I talked to Alex at Everlast and we struck up a deal. He is going to send me their new Powertig 350 EXT (a new and improved 325EXT), upgrade me to their new SSC type foot pedal and include the 220v water cooler (which plugs into the back of the welder), shipping included for $2900.00. This also includes their accessory package (torches, leads, clamps and argon regulator) as well. The new stuff won't be available for shipping for approx one month which is Ok as this will be used more for hobby than for work and there is no rush. The money seemed fine, I just hope the new welder proves itself. I may try to post a few pics when the stuff arrives. I am always a little nervous about new products and usually wait until some reviews are available before buying an item, so this is me rolling the dice.
I've had my PowerTig250EX for a 3 years or so now, and other than the foot pedal potentiometer giving me problems for the second time, it's been a phenomenal investment. I'm going to pick up an SSC pedal in the next few weeks here as money allows itself.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

jtholt wrote:Well I talked to Alex at Everlast and we struck up a deal. He is going to send me their new Powertig 350 EXT (a new and improved 325EXT), upgrade me to their new SSC type foot pedal and include the 220v water cooler (which plugs into the back of the welder), shipping included for $2900.00. This also includes their accessory package (torches, leads, clamps and argon regulator) as well. The new stuff won't be available for shipping for approx one month which is Ok as this will be used more for hobby than for work and there is no rush. The money seemed fine, I just hope the new welder proves itself. I may try to post a few pics when the stuff arrives. I am always a little nervous about new products and usually wait until some reviews are available before buying an item, so this is me rolling the dice.
That machine has been in development over a year now.