A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

I've had this Optrel e684x1 for over a month now and I've got a fair amount of time under the hood with this. I've done TIG aluminum, steel and stainless steel using a variety of Amp settings ranging from the 80s to 230s with pulsing the pedal almost always. Tacks & beads, low light, full ambient light, hasn't mattered with this hood. It adjusts accordingly and it'd almost seem that it adjusts faster than the actual arc. Not true, but it's just so fast you'd never know.
The clarity is hard to believe as well. With just the helmet in it's normal state, you can see things very clearly and the light green shade is almost not noticeable at all. The colors of your world are still very clear and distinguishable and I can read everything on my control panel (if I was able to read it in the first place).
I only got "flashed" once using this and I'd say it was more because I set the shade level to it's lowest and watched the puddle as I went along but instead I was really watching the arc since it was VERY visible. Just had a spot and I adjusted back to reality in a few minutes.
Keeping this hood on it's neutral setting has not let me down with the auto adjusting shades and the colors are still fairly clear and the surrounding object detail is very definable.
I'm not a welder, just a backyard n00b with a fair amount of practice time, one complete project, and another on it's way. I have the Harbor Freight red racer and the Tractor Supply Metal Man camo hoods and they do not hold a candle in comparison to this hood. Those others are good for stick or a for higher Amps at consistent rates i.e. no pulsing.
When it comes to TIG, these hoods would just not do unless again you're running higher Amps at a consistent rate with no pulsing of the pedal, or just light enough to not make a difference. Even then, the Optrel e684 hands down beats them in every aspect.

I also picked up the leather welding cap from Optrel for this hood. It's an odd two piece thing and it was advertised in a way to let you think it's a bib AND a cap but it's either a bib OR a cap. You can use the bib and not the extension piece, or you can use the bib part on the top of the hood and add the extension which velcros to the bib. I really do like this setup for the cap because it blocks out all the ambient light that effortlessly tries to get around my face and reflect on the inside of the lens. The only complaint, which isn't a valid complaint at all is that it adds some extra warmth in the hood since it's leather but it's as thin as you could get for leather and still be safe for overhead welding. The reason why it's a minor issue for me is because I'm welding in 100 to 110 degree heat in my garage so any extra heat sucks. It's still not a true issue for me because I'd rather clarity and just wet myself down and if it was winter, I'd be thankful.
Well I lied, I will complain about the $60 I spent on the leather cap/bib since it's a bit pricey and about 1/6 the price of the hood itself BUT still totally worth it.

If I had to re-think and/or downsize my TIG equipment, the Optrel is one thing I would not be willing to give up. I don't think I would have progressed as reasonably as I have without it either.

Amazon has the Optrel e684 for over $460. I bought mine for $335 at:
http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/o ... ing-helmet

There's plenty of other places to buy, but if you did have to invest in something, I'd say this hood would be more worth while to invest in than all those fancy dials and settings on any machine out there because you can't make awesome welds without seeing what you're doing! Still, buy a good machine if you can ;)

I've got some more welding this week so I'll see if I can swap to my other hoods and get some camera shots behind the Optrel but no promises unless there's some major desire.
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I have to make it out to visit Jonathan (@superiorwelding) one of these weekends and try his Optrel and his Lincoln w/ 4C lens in it before I buy a new helmet. A kid at work has a SpeedGlas with their XXi lens in it, and it is incredible.

I currently have a SavePhace M03, and while the helmet has been a great friend for years, after TIG welding every day, and trying this other kids SpeedGlas, I need to upgrade to the 21st century as far as ADF tech goes!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

I showed my hood to the guy down at the supply store since I was buying a cheater lens and had to verify fit but he said he liked it but he didn't actually put it on.
He told me about the Lincoln 4C lens and mentioned it's blue tint vs green and said it gave amazing clarity. I wish I had an option to compare the two before I purchased because naturally blue would be better but I can't really tell it has a green hue when there's an arc even if I look around.
In the end no matter what I'd take the auto adjusting auto darkening the e684 offers over anything. I never want to have to think about my shade level amongst everything else :) Is there a Lincoln hood that offers that?

I'd be curious as to what you find and if you have a way of getting shots from within each hood.
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

entity-unknown,
I am glad you like your e684. I have one with the PAPR set up and love the helmet. All the settings work like they should and it is nice to have that external grind mode button. I got the helmet to test the auto shade and the PAPR mainly. The auto shade has its place for sure but is not for everyone. I think it would work best at low amperage GTAW where you might need to slowly back off the amperage and the shade getting lighter as that happens might allow someone to see a crack forming in crack sensitive material or a crater crack. I can't say the auto setting is a cure all for everyone or every situation. I also have a 4C which I use more than the Optrel mainly because I don't want to use the PAPR all the time. I won't say which I like best as it is relative to whoever is looking through the helmets. Anyone on the fence should try them out before they purchase if they can so they get the look they are after.

And you still haven't came over and tried out the helmets yet @Greintime.
Jonathan
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Superiorwelding wrote:entity-unknown,
I am glad you like your e684. I have one with the PAPR set up and love the helmet. All the settings work like they should and it is nice to have that external grind mode button. I got the helmet to test the auto shade and the PAPR mainly. The auto shade has its place for sure but is not for everyone. I think it would work best at low amperage GTAW where you might need to slowly back off the amperage and the shade getting lighter as that happens might allow someone to see a crack forming in crack sensitive material or a crater crack. I can't say the auto setting is a cure all for everyone or every situation. I also have a 4C which I use more than the Optrel mainly because I don't want to use the PAPR all the time. I won't say which I like best as it is relative to whoever is looking through the helmets. Anyone on the fence should try them out before they purchase if they can so they get the look they are after.

And you still haven't came over and tried out the helmets yet @Greintime.
Jonathan
After I switch to thirds I can swing out and meet you for welding lessons on a Friday afternoon. We all know you need them, I haven't seen you post a weld in weeks on IG ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

@Greintime
Yeah, I do need some learnin'. Maybe you and Cole can some and show me a thing or two. Then I can live up to the "superiorwelding" screen name finally. :lol: :lol:
Jonathan