A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
    Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:27 pm

I've got a line on one with a 140 cf Argon Cylinder with Harris regulator flowmeter for $500. It does SMAW/GMAW/FCAW/GTAW, I tested it on GMAW on a piece of 3/8 carbon plate and it seems to be a pretty potent machine. I was just curious if anyone has ever used or owned one and would it be a good Idea to buy it at that price? Thanks

J.B
“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If you have power for it and you got to test run it then it's probably a good deal. The gas tank would cost you at least 120$ or more. And even a cheap China / no name machine that does half of that will cost you 300$.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

It's a older machine, (maybe early 1990's). From what little I've found online, they we're bought by Illinois tool works in 1996-97 (the same company that bought Miller electric and hobart) and quit Producing welders under the Powcon name in late 98 early 99. It's a U.S. Made Machine, I'm just not sure if that would be a wise buy seeing how they're no longer made.
“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Good deal in my opinion :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I appreciate the feed back. I think I'll roll the dice and make it happen. Thank You guys!

J.B
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If you do have issues I think there is a guy on eBay (actual location I think was west coast) who advertises warranty and repair of plasma and welding machines. He's advertising to repair the China no name stuff but when I checked there web site they work on anything. Considering most no name stuff is running on older tech, then fixing a 90s welder is probably right in there wheel house.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

I've owned half a dozen Powcon machines, Great machines 100% made in USA there is a Powcon forum on welding web. Arcon welders was started by one of the inventors of the Powcon. They still have some parts and have all the owners mammals online. They are comparable to the old Thermal Arc machines that were made by Sanrex in Japan. LM300 for example. I own one of those too. Probably a little easier to find parts for the TA