A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
nailbanger138
    Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:56 pm

Hello all, I am looking for some honest feedback on these two machines. Feedback from OWNERS/EXTENSIVE USERS of either of these machines. I have already explored all of the technical specs on my own, so what I am looking for is pros and cons. The duty cycle and extra amperage of the everlast is appealing, but I feel like the quality and service for the htp may be better. I am really interested in a more long term perspective. I have read plenty of comments from people that have had a machine for a month or 2, and use it once a month. How do these compare after a couple years of use. I would probably average 10 to 20 hours of arc time a month on whatever I decide to go with. What are the quirks of either machine? Is the asymmetric ac on the htp useful, or is it a gimmick? Please offer any relevant commentary.
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Posting the same question in more than one place is spamming the forum.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I'm okay with the posts. You can generally tell the difference between a spammer and someone genuinely looking for information.
nailbanger138

Honestly, I posted in the wrong spot initially, and wasn't sure how to remove it. Turns out, I am getting more information where I initially posted, and yes, gathering (hopefully) unbiased, actual user feedback is my goal. Either machine is a fair bit of money, and I really don't want to make a poor investment.
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I have had an HTP 221 for going on 4 yrs. now. I considered an Everlast but declined due to questionable reviews. HTP has great customer service. I would do the same again.
nailbanger138

Have you had any problems with your htp? What was your interaction with the support team?
WeldingJunkie
    Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:43 pm

HTP is one of the best companies out there, now they don't make the welders Stel does and they are the Miller of Europe. I own a HTP 221 Invertig with a smooth buttery arc its an amazing machine i run it with a Coolmate 1.3. I own a dynasty 210dx tig runner with a 1.3 as well, the arc is much more aggressive. Id go to the dynasty 280 if i could do it again. HTP is coming out with a 300/400amp Tig. I own a HTP Pro Pulse 200 and HTP 200i easy set as well (blows millers 211 off the map). What welder did you end up going with? Stay away from Everlast man trust me. Unless you are a you tuber you are waiting 30 days for new parts maybe even longer, the 210/250/325 EXT are great machines but if it breaks and you are losing money everyday its down good luck
Last edited by WeldingJunkie on Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

The Everlast isn't too bad. Bought mine specifically for the 200A duty cycle. It's not as great as my old Dynasty, but I strangely like it more. Maybe I got lucky with mine, but it still works just fine despite two drops from 3'. Runs stick damn good under 150A off a generator too. Never used one of the HTP's, but I have 0 regrets with buying my Everlast.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

There's a simple answer here. go scour this forum, Welding Web, Garage Journal, etc. and see if you can a single bad report on the welder or HTP's service. I'd bet a dollar you can't. I have looked personally a few times and I can't even find anyone that has had to send their HTP machine back for warranty repair. But go look. Then do the same thing for virtually every other manufacturer, including everlast, lincoln, miller, etc. Its not hard to find reports of machines that have died and required warranty work. And it is not hard to find people who are unhappy with the service from any of the above listed manufacturers, except HTP. This includes people unhappy with the big boys: Miller and Lincoln. Granted it is rare, but it happens. Do that and I think you will see that the HTP unit is a no brainer if you have the coin for it.
Multimatic 255
WeldingJunkie
    Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Louie you hit the nail on the head, couldn't of said it better myself.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I don't know why, but I think this is the first time I visit this sub-forum on this site, ever. lol.

Anyways, HTP 221 DV owner here, since Dec. '13. Fast-forward 5yrs later, it's still an awesome machine. Granted I use MIG and stick more often than not, if I have an aluminum piece to fix here and there, the 221 fires right up. Highly recommended if taken care of properly. Oh and let me say this, up until mid-September of this year, my 221 was stored outdoors, under an open car-port, with only the red vinyl cover protecting it when not in use. Nearly 5 years like that, and every year when I open up the machine to blow out the dust and spider webs, everything still looks pristine, like brand new. It's a tough little guy to survive Texas summers and desert-like dusty climate like that! Now it lives a better life in a garage, but it still has the cover on it, I guess out of habit, lol.
    Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 pm

I am a rank beginner, having bought my Invertig 221 about 2-3 weeks ago, still learning to lay semi-acceptable beads, but let me share HOW I chose my welder.

First, you have to look at yourself and the type of buyer/user you are. Were the last few important tools bought on price alone, versus mainly on price versus on quality-no-matter-what? I don't own a single Snap-On tool myself, but I understand why pros would go to that level (am mainly a Knipex-level buyer myself). Are you a Harbor Freight regular? Do you buy the last tool first or just the git-er-done-quick tool? I have to be open about my biases here: I absolutely abhor cheap junk. I'd rather have few things of good quality and take care of them well, then many pieces of junk. In the past every time I bought a junky tool, it worked sloppily from the get-go, and got quickly worse with wear. Never regretted buying a quality tool OTOH. In my professional life I get nothing but the best supplies, and even in my hobbies I'd rather do less, but with better. Would not even hire a trunk-slamming contractor with cheapo tools, regardless of claimed experience. If you don't respect yourself and your craft to invest in quality products, I don't want to chance your attention to detail and execution (<-- learned from experience).

Although crudely stated, I think the above is important, because Everlast and HTP don't compete in the same space as far as I can tell. When I recently turned 50, I wanted to buy myself that indulgent gift, and instead of a boat, or sports car, I decided to get a TIG welder. Looked at Miller first and the features of the last-tool-first would have set me back around $5K, that, as a home gamer, is out of my reach. So I looked at Everlast, and then got on the forums, where I found out about HTP. My sense with Everlast is that like with many Chinese products, you take a gamble. You can luck out, hence the happy users, but you are on your own otherwise, no matter what forum guys say. OTOH HTP distributes stuff made for them by Stel, a northern Italian family firm. To learn about HTP, I first ordered their catalog, then a few consummables, interacted with HTP, and was pleased with the experienced. The Invertig itself is a quality product. I will never bring it to 100% of its duty cycle, but I can tell that from the CK torch, through the pedal and everything else that you are dealing with a quality continuum. That's why I didn't care about the paper specs of the Everlast and its race-to-the-bottom price.

YMMV, I hope you find this useful.
HTP Invertig 221H w/ Arctic Chill cooler and CK20 torch
Lincoln MP210 -- SOLD
Optrel Crystal 2.0