A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
jeffstevens2974
    Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:01 pm

My buddy and I are looking to upgrade our hoods soon. Has anyone tried out the new Speedglas 9002NC helmet yet? I used to use one of the 9000 hoods and it was awesome, but they stopped making them. Hoping the 9002NC would a goodie but haven't heard from anyone using them yet, What do you reckon? any issues or other options you think might be more suited?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Not many Speedglas users on here mate. For whatever reason. they aren't too big in the US. Depending on the type of lense they put in the NC, I would go for a 9100xii unless you needed the slimline design. Here's an email they sent me in Australia.

https://www.awsi.com.au/welding-helmets ... met-401385

Mick
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I have a 9100 series. Don't like it much. It's heavy with inferior headgear that won't keep it on your head in positional welding. Clarity is very ordinary (green style viewing). It never goes to site with me. I use it for mig work on the bench these days. I would have thrown it out except I paid a lot of money for it. I was mouthing off about it at my lws recently and unbeknown to me was the speedglas rep behind me. He spent time listening but couldn't refute what I was saying when the demo helmet fell off my face when lying on my side simulating an out of position weld. Optrel stayed on my head and is also much lighter, if I was going to bone up for a fancy helmet again I would get optrel for sure.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

Coldman wrote:He spent time listening but couldn't refute what I was saying when the demo helmet fell off my face when lying on my side simulating an out of position weld. Optrel stayed on my head and is also much lighter, if I was going to bone up for a fancy helmet again I would get optrel for sure.

Sent using Tapatalk
Wish that was available on video! :lol: :lol:
Richard
Website
jeffstevens2974

weldin mike 27 wrote:Not many Speedglas users on here mate. For whatever reason. they aren't too big in the US. Depending on the type of lense they put in the NC, I would go for a 9100xii unless you needed the slimline design. Here's an email they sent me in Australia.

https://www.awsi.com.au/welding-helmets ... met-401385

Mick
Right, I was head over heels about the 9000 helmet, was a really solid hood. Are you using the 9100xxi now? And/or do you have any experience with the Adflo PAPR systems on them? I had one of the Speedglas reps a few years back show me the Speedglas 9100 FX model and it didn't feel too heavy on the head.

In Australia the helmets also come with a 3 year warranty or 4 years if you register it on the Speedglas website https://www.awsi.com.au/product-register. Considering I am welding for 5/6 hrs a day this seam like it might come in handy.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I have the xxi at home and a normal older 9100 at work with flex view and adflo. I wear it all day. I don't find the headgear inferior, just different. Designed to float on your head, not lock on. Takes some getting used to, and fiddling with the adjustment of the gear. Moving to 9100 saved me permanent damage to my neck. The higher weight of the 9002 adlfo had me in pain constantly. I don't know about the warranty, but why not, if they offer it. I do know that they stand behind their products and the actual importers, Australian Welding Supplies, will look after you. First rate.
jeffstevens2974

Coldman wrote:I have a 9100 series. Don't like it much. It's heavy with inferior headgear that won't keep it on your head in positional welding. Clarity is very ordinary (green style viewing). It never goes to site with me. I use it for mig work on the bench these days. I would have thrown it out except I paid a lot of money for it. I was mouthing off about it at my lws recently and unbeknown to me was the speedglas rep behind me. He spent time listening but couldn't refute what I was saying when the demo helmet fell off my face when lying on my side simulating an out of position weld. Optrel stayed on my head and is also much lighter, if I was going to bone up for a fancy helmet again I would get optrel for sure.

Sent using Tapatalk
What was the lens in the 9100 you were using, I've only heard good stuff about the XXi lens cause it has true view which makes everything look almost normal colour rather than green? What is the lens like on that optrel helmet?

Jeff
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Mine is the model before the trueview. I know the trueview is a big improvement but the optrel is better again.
The light weight and the headgear fit makes it a no-brainer.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
olek
    Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:07 pm

I use an older model from 3M (not sure it is in the speedglass series) , it looks like that model from Kemmp, exactly the same, but the air flow is the 3M Jupiter

see http://www.soudeurfrancais.fr/?page=kem ... air_spares
I baught that second hand for painting and lacquering (for the Jupiter system) mask was included but I did not thought of using it at those times. =

It weights somehow, but I use it now because of the clarity of a new gold plated glass I installed (plus the filtered air wich is good)

Now it is only for occasional work , having it only a few hours a day , I understand it would be heavy to support it all day

The flip flap necessitate a special technique

Do some know what technique is the best ?

What kind of weight is considered acceptable (without air feed)?

My lcd "ergotech" is 500g, very light it is appreciated.

The 3M in the end is not so much off balance despite its weight, because the air feed is pulling on the back it compensate for the weight at the front. (without air feed I suppose that hood not hood for the neck)
Pianos , restorer and tuner
Dedicated to learn welding since april
slowly learning ;) not complaining of doing beads and beads
pro inverter PROGYS 200 FV PFC CEL+tig lift
OA Oxyflam 1000 cutting and welding gas torch
Oni
  • Oni
    Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:29 am

If you liked your old 9000 series you will love the 9002 NC. It has the TrueView technology and the shell is exactly the same as the old 9000 with newer headgear. You'd be hard pressed to find a better helmet at the $200 price point.
olek
    Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:07 pm

Oni wrote:If you liked your old 9000 series you will love the 9002 NC. It has the TrueView technology and the shell is exactly the same as the old 9000 with newer headgear. You'd be hard pressed to find a better helmet at the $200 price point.
If it was for me, I don't think mine is speed glass series. I find it very protective and heavily build, plus a better fit than the light lcd (despite the Ergotech LCD have 2 strips on the top I cannot always have it well installed.
Indeed, with the air feed part it does not move much.

I have seen those clear view pictures on 3M, I need to try one someday, at the moment I am reluctant to loose any "pixel" of définition !

They are not that expensive for 3M indeed

But the price of the LCD, 420€ n is far from what I can put in case I wanted to upgrade my mask (if possible)
Pianos , restorer and tuner
Dedicated to learn welding since april
slowly learning ;) not complaining of doing beads and beads
pro inverter PROGYS 200 FV PFC CEL+tig lift
OA Oxyflam 1000 cutting and welding gas torch