A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products

444e wrote:Thank you guys for all the great advice! Harbor Freight also sells Vulcan hoods for about $140 which is a name brand aside from Harbor Freight. But like you guys were saying you only get one set of eyes so I think I will spring for a decent Hood. Any other accessories that you guys would recommend? I will only be doing Mig and stick to begin with
Well how much money can you spend.. :lol: One tool I've found useful for MIG is, welding or MIG pliers like THIS, HF even has their brand, you can find these around at different price points
Richard
Website
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

444e wrote:Any other accessories that you guys would recommend? I will only be doing Mig and stick to begin with
Good quality leather apron. You can get a decent one for about $30, long enough to cover the thighs if possible.

I would also recommend some type of sleeve protection, a hybrid jacket with leather sleeves can be had for about $40-$50.

If you have a hybrid jacket with leather sleeves, you can use the apron to protect your torso/legs so if you find yourself doing overhead stick or welding underneath a vehicle you will be somewhat protected.

Of course a good pair of gloves is a given, and a bandanna or thin hat to wear under your helmet to protect the top of your head. There's sure to be people on this forum that weld in their t-shirts with only a pair of welding goggles, I just don't see any sense in that. To me it's kind of like wearing your seat belt when you drive, the one time you really need it you will be thankful. The first time you burn a pair of gloves you will be thankful you had them on. ;)

And not a safety device, but get as many clamps as you can afford. :D

Alan
444e
    Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:30 pm

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH! Just when i thought i made my mind up on the lincoln 210 i came across the esab emp215. Seen a lot of good reviews on the esab and it comes with tig torch. my local welding supply is a dealer for lincoln and they service them so that is a huge plus,, but i have seen alot of mixed reviews on the red box. Is esab a better machine?? i think it is slightly more robust as you guys call it, but no dealer close to me. You guys have been awesome so far, please lead me in the right direction and thanks for helping out a newb!! :mrgreen: oh yea the esab is about 200-300 more than red
jerje
    Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:16 pm

Don't know if you've bought yet but I would recommend more research re the esab machine. Mebby register on weldingweb and read down the esab dedicated section. There are far more problems with the esab stuff than with the red stuff from what I've read and their customer support can be more iffy.

http://weldingweb.com/forumdisplay.php? ... ored-Forum