A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:21 pm

I am looking to replace my Lincoln idealarc tig 250/250 mostly because it doesn't do aluminum very good, steel's assume, and then there is the power use.
Question is, "IF" I go Chinese, is there any reliability difference between the 250ex and 255ext? Or any real big difference. I have put the data charts side by side and they are similar with minor differences, 255 has sine and digital fine tuning , but the analog dials don't bother me as much as the price difference. But I cant find any info about how reliable the 250ex is and a lot about how great the 255ext is.
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Do it Right Today!
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

I've used both, much prefer the 250dx, I like analog and also seems to be a bit more reliable. I can see all the settings with just a quick glance at the panel.

soutthpaw wrote:I've used both, much prefer the 250dx, I like analog and also seems to be a bit more reliable. I can see all the settings with just a quick glance at the panel.
I like the word "reliable" and I too have thought with the dials I can give a quick view of my settings. Thanks for the response.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

There's also more to break with an analog machine. Dials are potentiometers, which can wear out. I have had that problem on a couple of my ham radios. Me I would go with the machine with fewer moving parts. Less stuff for the metal dust to get into and mess with. In addition the 255EXT has solid state HF ...no points to have to adjust (more reliable). There are two other points in favor of the 255EXT if you a lot of stick welding: the 255 has the ability to run 6010, which the other machine does not, and it has a higher stick duty cycle. But the 255 is also a lot more money. At the price of a 255, I would start to look at the HTP invertig too.
Multimatic 255

Louie1961 wrote:There's also more to break with an analog machine. Dials are potentiometers, which can wear out. I have had that problem on a couple of my ham radios. Me I would go with the machine with fewer moving parts. Less stuff for the metal dust to get into and mess with. In addition the 255EXT has solid state HF ...no points to have to adjust (more reliable). There are two other points in favor of the 255EXT if you a lot of stick welding: the 255 has the ability to run 6010, which the other machine does not, and it has a higher stick duty cycle. But the 255 is also a lot more money. At the price of a 255, I would start to look at the HTP invertig too.
You do bring up a good point about the dials, lots, being mechanical have chance for contamination and wearing out, Thanks for the input.
Bradk
    Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:09 am

This might be a biased opinion as I have an EX. I personally like having dials as opposed to a hidden menu affair of the digital based controls . My model has the plastic flip down control cover so you are not getting debris and such onto the controls if you close it when done making adjustments. As far as trim pot (potentiometers) replacement or a digital circuit card replacement I would rather replace 1 or 2 trim pots as opposed to 1 whole control board, much cheaper. Trim pots last a very long time and remember you are not using them like a wah wah pedal on your electric guitar.
It is basically what style you want as to controls and the EXT supposedly has a few more values that the EX might not have. Eventually we probably will no longer be able to purchase products with analog adjustments as digital will be the norm like your Casio wrist watch, a lot of hidden menus like my I Phone.

Brad