A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
Jvineyard51
    Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:16 pm

Hey I really need help choosing my next helmet im stuck between the Miller digital infinity or the 3m speedglass 9100v im a pipe fitter so I do tig and stick I really need something with the clearest view
I need help with deciding what new helmet to buy I am stuck between the Miller infinity or the 3m speedglass 9100v both are around 250 but I don't know what one to get I am a pipe fitter if that helps to any one to help me pick
Plz help out
Franz©
    Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Like realestate, location is everything.
Old saying about buying welders and helmets, go down to the local distributor and give the girl a dance to see how you like it.

Biggest problem in pipe is smoke & spatter on your protective cover. Be very aware of replacement cost of this cover in any helmet selection.

Also understand how autodarks work. You're looking through an LCD array, and unlike glass only so much clarity and definition is available.

Sets of Mark 1 human eyeballs are all different, and what works for me might not work for you. Think of it in terms of going to the Optometrist to get glasses. Testing is everything.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I have the Infinity, and for bench welding, it’s great. For out of position, not so much. There seems to be a common complaint from many who use it that the headgear struggles to stay put, visor drops too easily, and generally is hard to adjust to get “right”.

Pluses: lightweight, huge viewing area, very good sensors, Auto ON/OFF is flawless, and it has a built-in timer for arc time, work time, etc if you need that capability.

I’ve not used a SpeedGlass, but honestly, I’d use a standard pipe liner hood if I were job site welding every day. Dropping a $300 hood and smashing it up gets pricey...

Don’t know if that helps, but might be worth the time it took to read it.
WeldingJunkie
    Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Did you get a helmet yet? i own both i like my 3M 9100XX the best. I didn't a review of both assuming you didn't get one yet.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I’m a refer fitter\welder out of local 125. I’ve been using the Lincon 2450 for about 5 years now. 70% of my work or more is position. Stick tig or mig it’s been solid. Good viewing area, good battery life. They get changed every 2years but I haven’t had one die yet. Hot or cold doesn’t affect it. It has adjustable sensitivity that lets me weld inside a vessel or out in the sun. I looked through another guys 3350 it has a larger view but not enough of a difference to make me trade up yet. Same headgear has lasted the whole time as well.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
FuelieNova
    Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:22 pm

I just bought a Lincoln 3350 and really happy with it, I have a speedglas and really like it but it seems like my Lincoln has a clearer view.
Tom
DLF
  • DLF
    Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:58 am

cj737 wrote:I have the Infinity, and for bench welding, it’s great. For out of position, not so much. There seems to be a common complaint from many who use it that the headgear struggles to stay put, visor drops too easily, and generally is hard to adjust to get “right”.

Pluses: lightweight, huge viewing area, very good sensors, Auto ON/OFF is flawless, and it has a built-in timer for arc time, work time, etc if you need that capability.

I’ve not used a SpeedGlass, but honestly, I’d use a standard pipe liner hood if I were job site welding every day. Dropping a $300 hood and smashing it up gets pricey...

Don’t know if that helps, but might be worth the time it took to read it.
I also have the Miller Dig Infinity. Lovely piece of kit for bench work but it is a bit on the heavy side (big LCD) so out of position work tends to pull the hood sideways.

One must tighten the tension screws for it to stay up, but the headgear is a little flimsy for my taste. The top head support broke and replacements are not that cheap.

Overall for inside work it is superb, but it requires the user to handle it with care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DLF
  • DLF
    Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:58 am

I also have the Miller Dig Infinity. Lovely piece of kit for bench work but it is a bit on the heavy side (big LCD) so out of position work tends to pull the hood sideways.

One must tighten the tension screws for it to stay up, but the headgear is a little flimsy for my taste. The top head support broke and replacements are not that cheap.

Overall for inside work it is superb, but it requires the user to handle it with care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk