A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

I usually ndon't have much to say about customer service except when it is REALLY POOR. I have a few Proto Industrial 3/4 drive sockets, and besides the quality being funky the replacement for Lifetime Guarantee is really funky. I sent in a worn out 3/4 drive , 15/16 socket for replacement. First, I'm told it has to go back to the main office in Tn.at my cost then it will be 6-8 WEEKS for them to replace it!! 6 to 8 WEEKS??
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.
FuelieNova
    Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:22 pm

This is what happens when bean counters take over a business.....
Tom
LanceR
    Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm

I may be confused here and if I am I'll apologize in advance.

You state that the socket is worn out. Proto's warranty, like pretty much everyone else on the planet, clearly states that normal wear is not a defect. So if it is simply worn and not a manufacturing defect you don't have a warranty claim and have no business asking for a new socket let alone bitching about it.
LanceR

Miller Multimatic 255
Hypertherm Powermax45 XP
Heck Bevel Mill 4000
Ace fume extractor
Welding/cutting/brazing torches

The OP sates there is a lifetime guarantee, so that should cover a worn tool?

I believe Craftsman use to be like that, any reason and it would be replaced.
Richard
Website
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I have a shifting spanner with unconditional lifetime guarantee that I flogged for decades. I shortened it for a job and welded the handle back on, I cut steps in the jaws for another job. After 30 years of abuse the worm broke so I went to the authorised store and requested warranty repair. They looked at the shifter then at me with that look then fitted a new worm without comment.
I still have the shifter but these days it sits in my welder bucket and it’s only duty is nipping up the argon regulator. I figured it earned light duty.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
LanceR
    Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm

LtBadd wrote:The OP sates there is a lifetime guarantee, so that should cover a worn tool?

I believe Craftsman use to be like that, any reason and it would be replaced.
Copied directly from Proto's warranty. "Does not cover damage due to ordinary wear and tear."

Craftsman's warranty has read that way since I started buying tools in roughly 1970. Whether Sears replaced worn or abused tools was very much dependent on the region and store. For example, by the mid 1980s some stores were no longer replacing worn ratchet wrenches. They handed you a kit to replace the mechanism....
LanceR

Miller Multimatic 255
Hypertherm Powermax45 XP
Heck Bevel Mill 4000
Ace fume extractor
Welding/cutting/brazing torches