A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
    Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 pm

I am currently using a Miller Digital Elite and was wondering if the Optrel e684 is meaningfully better. Would happily upgrade but am not sure if the step-up in quality is perceptible. Any thoughts? Thanks.
HTP Invertig 221H w/ Arctic Chill cooler and CK20 torch
Lincoln MP210 -- SOLD
Optrel Crystal 2.0

If your DE is pre-clearlight then I would say it's a good upgrade. I have a pre-clearlight digital infinity and bought the e684 and don't regret it.
The e684 is light and comfortable and I like the view (clairity).
Richard
Website

LtBadd wrote:If your DE is pre-clearlight then I would say it's a good upgrade.
Bought it in late 2015. When was clear light introduced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lincoln MP210 -- SOLD
Optrel Crystal 2.0

First introduced on the T94 (ugly) series hood, then in Jan 2018 to others

I bought my DI late 2015 as well, no CL
Richard
Website
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Don’t know about the di. The e684 is my go to hood these days. Light weight, stays on in all positions and good clarity. I did a review early in the year if you care to look it up.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
DennisCA
    Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:58 am

I'm also interested in the E864 but it has fierce competition from the Lincoln Viking 3350 in my mind. I can get the viking from the UK for 120 euros cheaper. And I hear the viking has bigger screen and better clarity.

So what it comes down to for me is build quality. Which of the helmets lasts longer, which is less likely to fail? I want something that lasts me a decade.

I Tig and stick weld, mainly indoors and I use a cheap chinese helmet at the moment.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

e684 going on 3-4 years now. not one regret.

OK I just pulled the trigger on an Optrel Crystal 2.0. Hope I won't regret it.
Lincoln MP210 -- SOLD
Optrel Crystal 2.0

Nice! Looks like an e684, but with a 2-shade undarkened. I just revisited a thread regarding the headgear, and I'm gonna copycat someone who retrofitted Miller head gear onto his e684.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Hey Oscar, do you prefer the Miller headgear over the Optrel? My Infinty head gear is a nuisance to keep adjusted and it has caused me to consider a switch away from it. I love the hood, features and lens (but it’s pre-CL) and before I upgrade to a new CL, was seriously considering an Optrel.

I think my older Digital Elite head gear works better than the Inifinty. But the lens in the Infinty is much nicer for my old eyes.

cj, I also have the pre-CL digital infinity and the optrel e684. I don't mind the miller headgear, but the hood is front heavy especially compared to the e684
Richard
Website
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

LtBadd wrote:cj, I also have the pre-CL digital infinity and the optrel e684. I don't mind the miller headgear, but the hood is front heavy especially compared to the e684
Have you been successful adjusting the Infinity to stay up without constant cranking on the wings? I guess it’s a subliminal hint to “drop the hood and get back to work” that Miller programmed into the hood? :o :lol:

cj737 wrote:Hey Oscar, do you prefer the Miller headgear over the Optrel? My Infinty head gear is a nuisance to keep adjusted and it has caused me to consider a switch away from it. I love the hood, features and lens (but it’s pre-CL) and before I upgrade to a new CL, was seriously considering an Optrel.

I think my older Digital Elite head gear works better than the Inifinty. But the lens in the Infinty is much nicer for my old eyes.
I'll find out soon enough. Headgear is on it's way. Another one that is very similar is the one for 3M Speedglas helmets. I just don't know if would fit mine or not, but the Miller will fit with slight adjustments.

cj737 wrote: Have you been successful adjusting the Infinity to stay up without constant cranking on the wings? I guess it’s a subliminal hint to “drop the hood and get back to work” that Miller programmed into the hood? :o :lol:
Now that is an issue, honestly I don't use it much, I guess that slipped my mind. Other then that it is comfortable :roll:
Richard
Website

So the hood came today, and holy smokes!!! It is SO GOOD.

I ordered a few front covers (one comes in the box), and +1.5D cheaters. Turns out the cheater replaces the inside cover and I also got a 5-pack of that, which will be returned.
IMG_2734.png
IMG_2734.png (549.39 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
The headgear is nicely adjustable, and I gradually went 4 sizes up and is now very comfortable.
IMG_2740.png
IMG_2740.png (387.97 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
LOVE the external switch between grind and weld modes.
IMG_2739.png
IMG_2739.png (410.9 KiB) Viewed 4451 times

Even better is the auto adjust function and the view is just shockingly good. My reference is a Miller Digital Elite from 2016 which I like (also has the grind mode, but hated to switch to it, due to internal controls). The clarity of the new helmet is beyond comparison. I realize Lincoln and the new gen Millers are very clear and I cannot compare them, just sharing that I am very happy with this hood.
IMG_2737.png
IMG_2737.png (398.39 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
Lincoln MP210 -- SOLD
Optrel Crystal 2.0
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

That looks like an awesome hood, and I've yet to hear anything negative about it other than, if you get flashed its in shade 2. Would love to hear how it holds up for you. I'm also in the market for a new hood, just too cheap to pull the trigger.

Enjoy!

There was never any doubt in my mind it would be good. I had the e680, then sold it to get the e684. Might as well sell that one to get this one, lol. BTW, if that headgear is like the e684, you would love the Miller headgear that I am transplanting into my e684.

Another Optrel e684 converted to Miller headgear. Simply outstanding. Optrel should be ashamed of themselves. Very soft, pliable plastic.

Optrel, your headgear sucks compared to this style! :lol:
    Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:30 pm

Just upgraded mine today with Miller headgear 256174, and what a difference!
I bought the hood because I love the clarity of the lens, but I rarely used it because I hated the poorly designed and uncomfortable heardgear! The Speedglas was my go-to hood because it was comfortable, regardless of the lesser lens. NO MORE!

I'm so glad I found this thread! Thanks!!!!
    Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 pm

Hey Wolfgang,

Are you using a PAPR system with your Optrel Hood or old Miller Hood.

I’m actually kind of curious if you have any opinion of PAPR systems

Learning is the best part of life and the most painful

Oscar wrote:Another Optrel e684 converted to Miller headgear. Simply outstanding. Optrel should be ashamed of themselves. Very soft, pliable plastic.
Nice! 8-)

Oscar wrote:
Oscar wrote:Another Optrel e684 converted to Miller headgear. Simply outstanding. Optrel should be ashamed of themselves. Very soft, pliable plastic.
Nice! 8-)
Oscar, you're commenting on your own post.. :lol: :lol:

Nice ;)
Richard
Website
    Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 pm

at least it was in agreement. Had it been a critical comment then we might have to worry

Learning is the best part of life and the most painful

haha, it must have been past my bedtime, I think I meant to hit a different post quote, this forum is backwards from a lot of other forums with the location of the "quote" button, lol.
    Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:30 pm

Radishfever wrote:Hey Wolfgang,

Are you using a PAPR system with your Optrel Hood or old Miller Hood.

I’m actually kind of curious if you have any opinion of PAPR systems

No, I don't!
I have a Lincoln Welding fume extractor that I use, when I have to weld a lot!