A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
RPat
    Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:30 pm

Hello ya'll. I thought I'd drop a few thoughts on my new HyperTherm PowerMAX 65 Plasma cutter. This unit comes wired for 3 phase so after calling HyperTherm tech support and them giving me 2 different viewpoints on what to do with the RED wire (3 phase) already connected to the main unit, I just cut it off, sealed it in the 220 plug and I was off to the races. I was concerned that there were sensors in the main unit detecting the 3 phase wire and expecting that power supply but that was not the case.
After my terrible experience with the Eastwood 60 plasma cutter I was expecting the HyperTherm to be much better especially for the difference in cost. It DID NOT DISAPPOINT. My first piece was 3/16" flat plate cuts. It cut thru it like butter and it only required a very small amount of touch up grinding to meet my expectations of a smooth surface. An expensive unit BUT from what I've seen so far, WELL WORTH THE COST! Not having to be concerned whether it's going to work when I need it is worth the extra cost to me. I also bought the unit that has the CNC module built in along with the CNC torch since I'm planning in the future to buy a CNC table. That research is still continuing (on the CNC table). I'm finding out there's much more to it than originally thought so much more research will be required before I spend that kind of $$.
Unless I needed more coffee before reading the User Manual, it wasn't clear on what AMP setting would be needed for what you're cutting and the thickness of the metal. But for the 3/16" plate I was cutting I put it on the 65AMP max and it worked flawlessly. One thing very nice about this unit is that it will set the air pressure automatically (I like this very much).
I also bought from IOC welding supplies the magnetic straight edge which can be adjusted ( https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... ide-017041 ), it's a little wobbly depending on the surface it's connect to but otherwise I like it. I'm considering adding a "small stop block" to the straight edge with earth magnets to stop the torch at the point I designate. Pics to come on that later IF it's successful.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Regarding your straight edge, I would avoid buying and relying on a magnetic type.what will you do when you want to cut aluminum or stainless? Instead, for similar money, buy a 1”x2”x48” piece of bronze flat stock. It’s heavy, straight, eludes the heat, and usable on all materials. You can clamp the ends if you want extra rigidity.
RPat

Excellent suggestion!! I'm interested, I'm assuming you bought yours from your local metal supplier, correct? If not, where?
cj737

Correct. Wasn’t cheap. But it’s lasts for more than 12 years and thousands of OxyAc cuts and hundreds of Plasmas too.

One thing to realize, your magnetic bar (while wicked convenient for unusual placements and cuts) collects metal debris and slag. So keeping it cleaned and the edge tue is a bit of a chore. Not so with a bronze bar. It’s a small detail, sure, but when accuracy matters magnetic clamps become a hassle.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

65A on 3/16" plate? yea it better run through it like butter! lol. You'd probably be able to cut 3/16" with only 30-35A. Might save wear and tear on the electrode/consumables.
RPat

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it. I have only had the plasma cutter for 3 days now so still playing around with it. The user manual is not very helpful in suggesting the amp setting for metal thickness unfortunately unless I need more coffee to understand it. :lol:
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Luckily it's something that can be experimented with rather easily. One just needs scrap pieces of steel. On my 55A max cutter, I only needed the bare minimum on this machine which is 30A to slice through 1/4" steel at about 2 seconds per inch using 70psi of air pressure at the inlet at the back of the machine. Naturally I could have used more amperage if I wanted to cut faster, but I was just checking out to see if it could do it, and I'm glad it could. But I digress, I'll write my own review of my machine. Your Powermax will serve you well for years!
RPat

Thanks to all of you for the comments,suggestions.
RPat

Amazing discovery: my metal provider does not offer Brass Flat Stock nor did he doesn't know of anyone who does. I thought for sure he would at least guide me on where to find it. Search on the Internet, here I come. :D
cj737

There are several "online" suppliers, I could only hope one of them is less expensive then that one.

Rpat, don't know where you are, I am fortunate to live near an Alro Metals Plus, which is their drop shop, just about whatever you want in material.
Richard
Website
RPat

Typo on my part, I stated Brass, but the original suggestion was BRONZE for a straight cutting edge (1"x2"x48").
RPat

Near Southwest Virginia. Looking up Alro online. Is Bronze the only metal recommended for a straight edge cutting guide?
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Not even. Buy a piece of 1/8 x 2 tool steel.......like 4140 or other cold roll. Use that as a guide for your drag tip.

I think you'll find bronze very $$$, not sure why CJ recommended that, maybe he has that already but I think other materials will work.

Home Depot sells up to 72" straight edges from Empire (I think)
Richard
Website
cj737

LtBadd wrote:I think you'll find bronze very $$$, not sure why CJ recommended that, maybe he has that already but I think other materials will work.

Home Depot sells up to 72" straight edges from Empire (I think)
He does. Had it for over 10 years. Small investment when you amortize it ;) And prices used to be better-
RPat

I was a little shell shocked by the cost of a 48" piece of bronze is why I was asking, close to $400, just for a straight edge. I was considering it until I saw that price. A 27" drop was $181.00, more reasonable but still a little pricey. I'm considering it...... Thanks for all the suggestions/thoughts guys.