A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
trainingGrounds
    Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:45 pm

Hello guys,

I had a large full canvas military bag I was using for a tool bag for my welding equipment. It was a great bag, could fit everything. It caught on fire while I was welding in a welding booth at school and is in the trash. I have to buy a new welder bag but all the bags I've seen online are made of nylon...so...how is that going to work as a welder? I've found a full leather bag with Saddleback Leather Co and their bag goes for 989$...

So can anyone tell me of real welder bags that aren't going to melt or catch on fire that I can use in a welder's booth? I'd like it to be at least 20" long to 36" long, preferably up to the 36". It obviously needs to be able to stand up to being hit with slag and sparks.

I prefer bags for their versatility and space efficiency. The big tool boxes are heavy.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Seems easier to get the nylon bag and a Welding Blanket to protect it. The blanket can be used otherwise too as you go froward.
trainingGrounds

Ok that's a good idea.

EDIT: should I buy 4'x6' or 6'x8' or larger? I like to buy things once and use them for a long time, so if the larger will certainly be what I need to buy later on then I will just get that now.
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

You should be able to buy a canvas tool bag from a number of places.
Home Depot has Klein tool bags, but you're paying for the brand...
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Wrap it in a Kevlar diaper and you also have abrasion resistance. ;)
trainingGrounds

Oscar wrote:Wrap it in a Kevlar diaper and you also have abrasion resistance. ;)
That's cool. It's too bad there aren't bags made with this stuff that aren't priced through the roof.

I did buy a leather bag and a good welder's blanket. The kevlar will be good for making the bag durable on the bottom. I will look into it.
clavius
    Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm

So it sounds like someone needs to make up a good quality, rugged welders tool bag made out of fire resistant welding blanket material with a kevlar bottom for durability.

It sounds like you have found an un-met need that is crying out for a solution. Product idea!!
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

clavius wrote:So it sounds like someone needs to make up a good quality, rugged welders tool bag made out of fire resistant welding blanket material with a kevlar bottom for durability.

It sounds like you have found an un-met need that is crying out for a solution. Product idea!!
Probably most people use a Gang box and store their bag in the truck ;) But if you had to have a canvas/nylon bag nearby, I’d throw a welding blanket over it. Easier, more useful, and you’ll always have it cuz you might need it. Or, TIG weld it :x