A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
    Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:44 pm

I've owned this machine for a few years now and the TIG/Stick work great, but I have struggled with the plasma cutter. It's rated to cut 1/4" plate with ease, but I've had trouble getting a clean cut on 15 gauge sheel metal. With no training, I never know if it's me or the machine. Any thoughts?
Attachments
45cbe5e2e895bea1de3b07b90b7da9b7.jpg
45cbe5e2e895bea1de3b07b90b7da9b7.jpg (7.96 KiB) Viewed 3310 times

Do you have good (condition) consumables, the correct psi and dry air supply, proper standoff, consistent travel speed and a good ground?
Richard
Website
    Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:44 pm

"Do you have good (condition) consumables, the correct psi and dry air supply, proper standoff, consistent travel speed and a good ground?"
I'm using the consumables that came with it, the manual said 60 psi and that's what I'm using, I'm running the air thru 3 air dryers, it came with a standoff guide that sucks because it gets caught on dross n slag, so i've tried it without that, I'm trying to cut designs so not really a consistant speed, and I'm using the ground cable it came with.
Should I try varying the air pressure? The steel seems to cut, but then melt back together, so I have to keep going back and that usually results in a cut that's too wide and damages the steel. I watch these videos of CNC machines that whirl around at fast speeds and cut perfectly and that is not happening at all with this thing.
ljdm1956
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Not quite sure yet, but I will bet it's operator error. I have the PowerUltra205 (older model), 1/4" is a breeze for the plasma. I can do 3/4". Make sure your tip is good, air pressure (too much is bad) is good. clean, DRY air. Good ground, proper angle, speed, etc............. go over the basics, slow down, catch your breath, start again. 1/4" is a breeze for that machine.
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff

Sometimes Jim Colt from Hypertherm will drop in, have only seen him in the Metal Cutting thread though, he could help you. Maybe send him a PM, your problem will be solved.
Richard
Website
ljdm1956
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

In the meantime, go through the basics, just to see if you are missing that one basic step. What do you have to lose? Sometimes we all miss little details when we focus on the big picture.
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Scotty, I also have everlast equipment. When I first started using the plasma, I had messes without a doubt. I started adjusting the amps and found better and cleaner cuts with lower amps (believe it or not). I did notice that moving right along also helped especially with thin sheets. Try experiencing straight cuts before the fancy curves etc.
Also realized that I needed some overhang with the metal or that darned table would jump under the cut. :shock: Also learned that even moving as fast as I do ,,, that metal gets pretty heavy.
Have fun and do be safe.
Bill
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Do you have 60psi before the 3 air dryers or after? If before, then you likely have a lot less PSI after the air dryers. you need minimum 60psi right at the entrance of the machine after all lines/obstructions are taken into account.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

also make sure the air pressure is correct when its RUNNING, not the set pressure before you start.

not sure of that plasma has a built in pressure regulator or not, but it should always be regulated at the machine, not at the compressor. pull the trigger and adjust air pressure while holding the trigger on.
tweak it until it breaks