A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

That HTP stork was flying over my house. Just dropped off this baby this week! An HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS!

It won't run 6010's since the SMAW functionality is pretty standard, but it still has plenty of adjust-ability:

Left: trying to force it to run 6010, but the arc will snuff out very frequently.
Right: Just trying out some 7018.

Even better, the amperage slider control I bought for my Pro Pulse 300 works for this one, as they have the same connector. Full manual control on-the-fly of synergic settings. Hot start, down slope, hotter weld, colder weld, all during short-circuit, or std pulse, or double-pulse, all eazy-peazy! Freakin sweet.

The original Pro Pulse 200 is no more at HTP, as this is the machine that replaced it.

But the new SMAW functionality is not the only added bonus. For those who perhaps needed a bit more on the aluminum side of things, wanting more than just using the 8ft aluminum dedicated 26-series mig gun, had no other options on the original ProPulse 200; there was no option to control a spool-gun nor a push-pull gun. You would have had to fork over ~$5,000+ for a ProPulse 300 for those options.

Now that's changed with this machine. Granted the internals are no "beefier" than before (it's still 35% DC@75°F, 25% DC@104°F), but at least now they added the electronics to support either a spool gun or a push-pull gun!

I won't be getting those things though, lol. I have a water-cooled 10ft 501D gun for my ProPulse 300 that should take care of all my aluminum welding needs. But who knows? I'm getting a massive raise at work this year....:D ;)

And now the Mothership has landed.

456heinbach
    Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:25 am

Hi I’m in the market for a new welder. I had the Lincoln Squarewave 200 but I just sold it. I’m not a welder by any means, just learning watching Jodi’s videos. I liked the Lincoln but I want to learn mig as well so I’m thinking about getting the HTP 220. Have you tig welded with it to see how it performs? How do you think the tig compares to the sw200? I know it doesn’t have ac tig but I could mig aluminum if need be. Is the mig easy to use for a beginner? They say it lets you focus on technique while the welder adjust? Have you put that feature to the test, I know you’re a great welder but maybe you could pretend? Lol. I’m mostly interested in welding dom tubing to build go karts and stuff for me and my kids. Maybe one day getting good enough to fabricate a cage for my rzr. You know a lot about htp and even when I bought the Lincoln I really wanted the invertig but price was a factor.
I appreciate any help and guidance you can give me
Thanks Joe

456heinbach wrote:Hi I’m in the market for a new welder. I had the Lincoln Squarewave 200 but I just sold it. I’m not a welder by any means, just learning watching Jodi’s videos. I liked the Lincoln but I want to learn mig as well so I’m thinking about getting the HTP 220. Have you tig welded with it to see how it performs? How do you think the tig compares to the sw200? I know it doesn’t have ac tig but I could mig aluminum if need be. Is the mig easy to use for a beginner? They say it lets you focus on technique while the welder adjust? Have you put that feature to the test, I know you’re a great welder but maybe you could pretend? Lol. I’m mostly interested in welding dom tubing to build go karts and stuff for me and my kids. Maybe one day getting good enough to fabricate a cage for my rzr. You know a lot about htp and even when I bought the Lincoln I really wanted the invertig but price was a factor.
I appreciate any help and guidance you can give me
Thanks Joe
Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not a great welder (I suspect that was a typo on your side, lol), I just tinker and do A LOT of reading and research into welding processes. As for your questions
  • I have not needed to use the TIG feature because I have two other TIG welders that I can use. You can buy a footpedal for the TIG operation so that would help out a lot.
  • I have never used the SW200, so I cannot compare.
  • the "ST-Arc" works to keep the arc & weld puddle consistent, so it does adjust, and it is relatively "fast", but it's not instantaneous. It corrects for "typical" kind of movements that normally occur during welding.
  • the MIG is very smooth and easy to use once you read the manual (or ask someone who has one) with regards to the settings that are available.

In this quick video I made, you can "see" ST-Arc working (but not really see anything because that's the point, it maintains the arc consistent, hope that makes sense)

456heinbach

Thanks for the response. I understand what you’re saying about the st arc. I’m really liking this welder the more I read about.

456heinbach wrote:Thanks for the response. I understand what you’re saying about the st arc. I’m really liking this welder the more I read about.
Just FYI, I called HTP (since I'm always bugging them anyways, lol), and they told me they have a couple of Pro Pulse 200's that they received during their upgrade/trade-in program. $1600 with the standard 240A steel gun, ground clamp, flowmeter regulator w/ hose, 1 yr warranty. No stick welding on that one. Or you might be able to convince me to sell you my Pro Pulse 200 for a little less than that (since I have the 220MTS anyways), but I can't offer warranty though.
456heinbach

Oscar wrote:
456heinbach wrote:Thanks for the response. I understand what you’re saying about the st arc. I’m really liking this welder the more I read about.
Just FYI, I called HTP (since I'm always bugging them anyways, lol), and they told me they have a couple of Pro Pulse 200's that they received during their upgrade/trade-in program. $1600 with the standard 240A steel gun, ground clamp, flowmeter regulator w/ hose, 1 yr warranty. No stick welding on that one. Or you might be able to convince me to sell you my Pro Pulse 200 for a little less than that (since I have the 220MTS anyways), but I can't offer warranty though.
What are the main differences between the 200 and 220 besides the tig?

The 220MTS does stick welding, the 200 does not. The 220MTS does not have a spot weld mode for MIG, but that can be achieved by using the stitch weld mode with the right settings anyways. The remote control ports are different. The 200 uses the Invertig 221 style connector, and the 220MTS uses the 14-pin Miller style connector that is also used on the Pro Pulse 300 and Invertig400. The 220MTS can be set-up for a spoolgun or a push-pull gun (but all that is extra IIRC), where as the 200 that is not possible.

Everything else that I can tell from the menu's is identical.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

BillEDee stopped in with his today so I got to spend about four hours burning up his mig wire. What an awesome welder. That is a very sweet rig. I burned a bunch of er70s 6 + a whole bunch of 5356 on aluminum.

I can't think of a single thing I would have wanted different. That was my first experience with an HTP machine and it was 100% positive.

BugHunter wrote:BillEDee stopped in with his today so I got to spend about four hours burning up his mig wire. What an awesome welder. That is a very sweet rig. I burned a bunch of er70s 6 + a whole bunch of 5356 on aluminum.

I can't think of a single thing I would have wanted different. That was my first experience with an HTP machine and it was 100% positive.
HTP has started their black friday sale! Place your orders!!
Richard
Website
BugHunter

LtBadd wrote:HTP has started their black friday sale! Place your orders!!
Have you ever used something and thought to yourself, wow I wish I had a need for one of those? Well that's sort of how I felt today.

I know, Oscar has never said that before. LOL

Funny thing is, I just ran some test beads with my brand new welder, just received it today. You will not believe your eyes! Will post a video soon as I edit & upload. ;)

Oscar wrote:Funny thing is, I just ran some test beads with my brand new welder, just received it today. You will not believe your eyes! Will post a video soon as I edit & upload. ;)
Eastwood? Yeswelder? ;)
Last edited by LtBadd on Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
Website
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

I'd REALLY like to run some tig on a pulse pro 220 or 300. I generally discount the tig function of multipurpose machines because I've found lift arc to be hard on the tungsten and very prone to sticking and generally screwing things up when attempting to tack. But although it was very brief, I did have a much much better experience with lift arc on a dynasty 280 and multimatic 220 for the short time I had tried it and if not having HF proved not to be an annoyance I'd just about sell a kidney for a pulse pro 300.

It's a ridiculous idea, but I wonder if HTP would be interested in sending a trial machine to the school I go to, although I'm on pretty decent terms with the department head, and kind of considered the leading tig student I doubt I could convince him to buy an HTP for the school outright without testing it.

BugHunter wrote:BillEDee stopped in with his today so I got to spend about four hours burning up his mig wire. What an awesome welder. That is a very sweet rig. I burned a bunch of er70s 6 + a whole bunch of 5356 on aluminum.

Yea it kicks butt. There's a few things I would have wanted different on it.

sbaker56 wrote:I'd REALLY like to run some tig on a pulse pro 220 or 300. I generally discount the tig function of multipurpose machines because I've found lift arc to be hard on the tungsten and very prone to sticking and generally screwing things up when attempting to tack. But although it was very brief, I did have a much much better experience with lift arc on a dynasty 280 and multimatic 220 for the short time I had tried it and if not having HF proved not to be an annoyance I'd just about sell a kidney for a pulse pro 300.

It's a ridiculous idea, but I wonder if HTP would be interested in sending a trial machine to the school I go to, although I'm on pretty decent terms with the department head, and kind of considered the leading tig student I doubt I could convince him to buy an HTP for the school outright without testing it.
Far as I know, no such thing as a "trial machine", lol. Have them buy one and if they dont like it, they can return it on their dime. As for the tig side, you can always flick the tungsten with the rod as well to initiate the arc. Even better with a foot pedal because it can start off low and then you can ramp it up.
BugHunter

Oscar wrote:Yea it kicks butt. There's a few things I would have wanted different on it.
If I was gonna nit-pick, I could say they could have used both encoders when making settings changes, allowing the one closer to the parameter on the screen to adjust that parameter, rather than for instance using the lower one with the selection button below to change parameters. In a situation where there are two parameters on that screen you can change, one beside each encoder, it's more intuitive to just use encoder next to the setting.

Interface wish-list aside... ok, one more, just give me ONE latch for opening the case. The way they implemented the latches, it's a two handed job to open the wire compartment. You can't even open one latch, then reach over to the other because the first closes again when you release the thing. Rrrrr. :lol:

But seriously, if that's all I can bitch about, that's pretty good.

BugHunter wrote:
Oscar wrote:Yea it kicks butt. There's a few things I would have wanted different on it.
If I was gonna nit-pick, I could say they could have used both encoders when making settings changes, allowing the one closer to the parameter on the screen to adjust that parameter, rather than for instance using the lower one with the selection button below to change parameters. In a situation where there are two parameters on that screen you can change, one beside each encoder, it's more intuitive to just use encoder next to the setting.

Interface wish-list aside... ok, one more, just give me ONE latch for opening the case. The way they implemented the latches, it's a two handed job to open the wire compartment. You can't even open one latch, then reach over to the other because the first closes again when you release the thing. Rrrrr. :lol:

But seriously, if that's all I can bitch about, that's pretty good.
The one thing I would have done, is done a proper Metric→Imperial conversion. The programmers did convert to imperial measurements, but in a rather useless way, with non-standard data-points on the curve, IE: there is no exact settings for 1/16", 1/8", 3/16", etc. The ones in the machine are close decimal approximations. Not that it matters, since even though it is synergic, the operator still has to dial it in here-and-there to their needs and preferences. But I would have done a complete curve-fit regression on the whole curve, and then interpolated the necessary values for the "American" market. Oh and it can run 035 pulsed-spray just fine, yet there is no program for it. Kinda weird. I simply created my own chart for voltage offset for it, and it works great because the machine will output any voltage you want up to around 35V. Oh and I can run dual-shield and metal-core on pulsed-spray as well, using a tweaked program and super-secret gas mixture as well. 8-) 8-)
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Oscar, what are your settings for spray...did you use both 030 and 035?

BillE.Dee wrote:Oscar, what are your settings for spray...did you use both 030 and 035?
I don't use pure spray transfer, only pulse(d) spray. Is that what you mean?
BugHunter

I guess I've done enough work on electronics to be past getting upset about native resolutions are metric and interpolation is needed for SAE. That and I work in a machine shop, so it really doesn't matter what decimals someone uses, I'm ok with it. .236 is close enough to 1/4" to suit me. :D

I looked briefly at the PP300 and were it not for the lack of need for the additional processes the welder supports, I'd probably lean toward that. Given that I don't really need stick / tig capability, it puts the MM255 where it's a much cheaper alternative. I would not have expected that. Yes, the Miller is 50A less output, but in my situation I think it would be the better choice. From a portability standpoint, the 220MTS is very portable, the 300, not so much.

As strictly a mig machine, the 220 looks to be a pretty serious competitor to anything I've seen. With Stick and DC tig as a bonus. Seems on the 220, the stick and tig bonus is basically $0, but on the 300, it's a fair chunk of change.

BugHunter wrote:I guess I've done enough work on electronics to be past getting upset about native resolutions are metric and interpolation is needed for SAE. That and I work in a machine shop, so it really doesn't matter what decimals someone uses, I'm ok with it. .236 is close enough to 1/4" to suit me. :D

I looked briefly at the PP300 and were it not for the lack of need for the additional processes the welder supports, I'd probably lean toward that. Given that I don't really need stick / tig capability, it puts the MM255 where it's a much cheaper alternative. I would not have expected that. Yes, the Miller is 50A less output, but in my situation I think it would be the better choice. From a portability standpoint, the 220MTS is very portable, the 300, not so much.

As strictly a mig machine, the 220 looks to be a pretty serious competitor to anything I've seen. With Stick and DC tig as a bonus. Seems on the 220, the stick and tig bonus is basically $0, but on the 300, it's a fair chunk of change.
But once you load up the PP300 with 045 solid wire, and run it full throttle, in pulsed spray with the appropriate gas mixture, man o man, let me tell you, nothing else in the 300A class comes close from what I've seen; not even Miller. It is effortless in it's execution. Shame you can't sample that. :)
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

take a road trip Oscar...You can come to the jersey shore of PA and meet the crew, and you can bring the 300 with you.

I hear Texas has really nice weather this time of year. I just grilled some brats outside on a mesquite/pecan/hickory wood fire. Can I do that up north? Nah. :lol:

BillE.Dee wrote:take a road trip Oscar...You can come to the jersey shore of PA and meet the crew, and you can bring the 300 with you.
Oscar wrote:I hear Texas has really nice weather this time of year. I just grilled some brats outside on a mesquite/pecan/hickory wood fire. Can I do that up north? Nah. :lol:
I think that means no... :lol:
Richard
Website

BugHunter wrote: Seems on the 220, the stick and tig bonus is basically $0, but on the 300, it's a fair chunk of change.
On the Pro Pulse 300 you're paying for it's power supply mostly. It is 1/3-Φ capable, and is much more robust since it is also used in more powerful machines from the Stel line-up. It also has many more synergic programs and has manual adjustable double-pulse parameters.