A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
CountryB
    Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:52 pm

I'm looking for a medium-duty welder for home/farm use.

I had a Hobart Handler 140 but it was too light duty. Sold that now looking for something a little bigger.

I see Eastwood has a Mulit-purpose (MIG, TIG. Arc) welder for around $800. It is dual voltage 120/220V, 200A welder.

Does anyone have hands on experience with the Eastwood MP200i welder? Is it worth buying - or is there a better welder in the same price range?

Thanks
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I used to run Eastwood equipment years ago. Most is good for the price, but sometimes you do have to use the warranty. Keep that in mind. After 30 days you are out of shipping costs if they choose to not cover it (it's stated in the warranty). I had to replace two Eastwood machines under warranty. When they worked, they worked great.

Be sure to make a checklist of all the features you want for each process and then double check if the welder meets your criteria, especially for TIG. It's not 'til later that you realize, "darn I wish it had this feature!".

Do you already have a list of things/features that you want? What process do you see yourself doing more? You also want to check out the consumables for the MIG. Do you know what style they are? Are they easily/cheaply available at Eastwood and other places? What about drive rolls for various wire sizes/types? Can you get those at a good price?
CountryB

I looked at the (1) Eastwood Elite MP200i (dual voltage, MIG, TIG, Stick) with a spool gun for aluminum it runs about $1,060. Has a three year warranty.

The other choices are the (2) Lincoln 210MP (dual voltage, MIG, TIG, Stick) 5/3/1 warranty. Runs around $1,600 with the spool gun.

And the (3) Hobart 210MVP (dual voltage, MIG only with spool gun) for $1,160.

Miller has nothing in my price range comparable to the above.

So the Eastwood looks like a better value for my needs - hobbyist, some Auto repair/restoration work, and farm repairs. The only types of metal I will be working with is 80% steel and 20% aluminum.

I thought TIG was necessary for aluminum work - but I'm seeing now that the (MIG with) a spool gun does "as good a job" as TIG (and possible preferable for home/light use). So I probably wont use the TIG feature. I like having the Arc welder feature - which I'm most familiar with. In my early days as a heavy truck mechanic I did a lot of stick welding (MIG is new to me).

So if there is nothing inherently wrong with the Eastwood brand, then that is what I'll get.

Thanks for your reply and comments.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

The main issue with a spool gun is that it won't be able to do thin aluminum, nor thick aluminum, typically, lol. You're limited to 1/8" - 3/16" for the most part. This is because spool guns typically utilize spray transfers (which doesn't lend itself to thin materials), and also the machines typically don't have the grunt for more than 3/16".
CountryB

I see the Eastwood welder only does "DC" TIG and DC Arc (the welding videos say one needs "AC" TIG for aluminum) - and with your comments about not being able to weld thin or thick aluminum, I guess I should look elsewhere.

Do you have a recommendation?

I would like to buy one welder that will do pretty much everything I come across as a small farm owner and an auto restoration hobbyist. I don't find the need to weld very often so buying an expensive professional-welder is not very reasonable or affordable.

I want to be able to weld aluminum up to 1/4" (perhaps 3/16" is okay), and steel up to 3/8". I doubt I will come across anything heavier.

But I also want to keep the price under $1,500 (or near to). Is that possible?

Do I go with a TIG only welder - or can I get one of the multi-purpose welders in my price range?
CountryB

After reading through some of the product reviews here (and watching some YouTube videos) the PrimeWeld 225 looks to be in my price range and has some really good reviews. It looks like it will weld about anything I have. I would just be welding everything with TIG (no MIG or stick).
I have no experience with TIG but I suppose I can learn it.