A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
LAPUSA
    Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:08 pm

I am looking for a TIG machine mainly to weld aluminum.
We have only $5000 we can spend on the unit, that's with tax, shipping, etc. We can purchase all the accessory separately on a different PR.

Can anyone recommend me a good machine minimum 220A with 80-100% duty I would appreciate it!
thank you

80 -100% duty cycle?
A Dynasty 700 would make a great 100% duty cycle 350 amp unit.

A new unit with a 220 amp output with 80 -100% duty cycle doesn't exist AFAIK.
Richard
Website
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

A Miller Dynasty 400 has a 100% duty cycle at 250A but is beyond your $5K limit new. Either your duty cycle expectation has to lower or your dollar limit has to increase or buy used.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

A little birdie told me that the new HTP Invertig 400 will be able to do quite a bit, when it is released in the near future. It is based off of the Stel Tig uP 453H S AC-DC. Supposedly it will cost less than a brand new Miller Dynasty 280dx, but it does need a phase converter to reach maximum output.

1F = singe-phase limited output

Put a phase converter behind that baby and let 'er rip @ 300A all day all night long.
LAPUSA
    Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:08 pm

Yes, the Dynasty 400 would be nice, yeah unfortunately our company policy anything over $5k needs corporate approval.
Obviously Miller Dynasty 400 would be our choice, I do like the Stel brand, I will be looking out for the HTP Invertig 400.
Thanks guys
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

What’s the max thickness of aluminum you will be welding the majority of the time?
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I had forgotten about this thread. I wonder what happened after all?