A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

Deleted
Last edited by DavidR8 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
v5cvbb
    Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 pm

tooln98 wrote:Did my first aluminum today. No filler rod yet so it's a straight bead. I'm more than impressed with this machine and I've used many high dollar ones in my day.Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Have you checked the low end on AC yet? That's been my only disappointment so far.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

v5cvbb wrote:Have you checked the low end on AC yet? That's been my only disappointment so far.
I imagine it depends on what you call low end AC, on page 3 I ran a bead on the edge of a piece of 1/8" aluminum and use low amps, it worked fine for me. I was just barely using the pedal to get enough to get a puddle and then started adding filler at low amps.

I wasn't welding aluminum foil together, but edge welds are low end for me.

What's your definition of low end AC ?
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
v5cvbb

I don't do much aluminum, but it's done everything I've needed. I was just messing around and tried the aluminum can end to end thing. Wasn't pretty. I know I don't need to weld stuff that thin. I was aware the Primeweld wasn't set up for 10A on AC when I ordered. I've no complaints. Just an observation.
TraditionalToolworks

v5cvbb wrote:I don't do much aluminum, but it's done everything I've needed. I was just messing around and tried the aluminum can end to end thing. Wasn't pretty. I know I don't need to weld stuff that thin. I was aware the Primeweld wasn't set up for 10A on AC when I ordered. I've no complaints. Just an observation.
Yeah, you got me there...I've never welded an aluminum can, could come in handy to complete with China, they recycle most of our aluminum cans I think... :lol:

But I thought the Primeweld was supposed to go down to 10A on both AC and DC, is that not the case?

I'm not seeing anything in the manual that would indicate otherwise. Help me out. :roll:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
v5cvbb

Mine does 10A on DC, but AC varies from 20A to over 30A as you change frequency. Going off memory but it's in that range. I saw the same in a review before I bought it so I expected the higher amps. Check yours Alan and see what you get.
TraditionalToolworks

v5cvbb wrote:Mine does 10A on DC, but AC varies from 20A to over 30A as you change frequency. Going off memory but it's in that range. I saw the same in a review before I bought it so I expected the higher amps. Check yours Alan and see what you get.
I'll test it out and at the same time take your word for it as I have not tested welding at such low amps. But my question is, how thick is an aluminum can? I guess it would be thicker than .015" because I have .015" spring steel in front of me and it's thicker than an aluminum can, AFAICT.

None the less, no deal breaker for me as I don't expect to be welding aluminum cans, although my green weenie can go down to 5 amps, but no AC...there is no perfect world...unless you get a $3000+ welder I guess...a $1500 green weenie would probably do it... :lol:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
TraditionalToolworks

DavidR8 wrote:Believe it or not the status says that it’s in my city. But UPS will not provide a delivery date.
What happened on this? Still no machine? You would think UPS could at least give you a status update... :!:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8

Deleted
Last edited by DavidR8 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks

DavidR8 wrote:It apparently arrived here on April 21 but was only just unloaded. So they say.
You must mean May 21st, as I got mine on April 21st I believe.
DavidR8 wrote:Ironically when I ordered I asked if it could be sent via a different carrier and Dustin said that they stopped using FedEx because they lost packages...
There is some irony there! :o

Hopefully they find it or he sends you another one. I'm chewin' through my first bottle of gas...
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8

Deleted
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks

DavidR8 wrote:Sorry yes May 21.
All the days are blending together.
No reason to be sorry, unless it doesn't arrive soon... :roll:
DavidR8 wrote:Wasn’t yesterday May 82nd? ;)
Sure seems like it... ;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8

Deleted
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks

DavidR8 wrote:UPS just called and said they are delivering my welder today.
Not believing that till I see it on my doorstep.
I can understand your reluctance until it is physically at your house. :)

Is this the same one that was originally shipped? Or is this a new one that Primeweld shipped? Must be the old one as it seems too soon for a new one to get there.

Fingers crossed for you today David! ;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8

Deleted
Last edited by DavidR8 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks

DavidR8 wrote:It's the original.
It arrived in my city on May 21. If it arrives today it will have taken eleven days to be located and delivered.
It only took six days to get from NJ, clear customs and get here.
Somehow it seem we've found a system even worse than the U.S. :lol:

The one thing in your favor is that these are packed pretty well, it would be really hard for them to damage the unit unless they completely demolished the box and smashed it under something that weighed about 1000 lbs. That said, I know that is possible... :roll: But that is HIGHLY unlikely, IMO.

As I said, fingers are crossed for you on this one today! :)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8

Deleted
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks

DavidR8 wrote:Shocking no one more than myself, it finally arrived! :D
And the world celebrated!

No pics, didn't happen! :P
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8

Deleted
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
v5cvbb

It's a good day now. Enjoy. No regrets with mine.
TraditionalToolworks

v5cvbb wrote:It's a good day now.
Indeed it is, David has been patient. I think it was a wise choice, despite the problems in shipping. When you open it you'll see it would be pretty hard to damage it, although they did knock one of my handles off and the FedEx set it on top of the box, it was still fine.

You're officially one of the family now, David! :D

Black Welders Matter! *groan*
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8

Deleted
Last edited by DavidR8 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks

DavidR8 wrote:Thanks Alan, I need to do some remedial wiring before I can really put it through the paces.
I only have 40 A service into my garage and no 30A 220v circuit inside. So I'm going to pull in a new service and wire in a 40A 220v dedicated circuit. I'm in the midst of re-wiring it so I had it on the planning books.
David,

You can still test it out, is that a 40 amp 120v circuit? That'll be enough to fully load it on 120v, so you can get 140 amps on Tig.

A 40 amp 240v is ideal for this welder, IMO. I have a 30 amp and think it will blow the breaker at some point. However, PG&E called today about my lake property, 320 amp service going in up there...I suspect they're not done jacking me around yet... :roll:

I will have plenty of power up there, but both of my welders run on the 30 amp for the most part. I've thought about taking the Primeweld up to the lake, but I probably want it at my house where I'm most of the time. Time will tell, but I would be best to replace the 30 amp 240v with a 40 amp 240v like you're doing.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
v5cvbb

I kicked a 120V 20A breaker running beads back to back stick welding as a mild torture test on day one. After that I ran the Primeweld on the same circuit as a Tig up to 140A and never kicked the breaker. Mostly 120A and under, but still. You can do quite a bit on 120V with that machine.
DavidR8

Deleted
Last edited by DavidR8 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225