A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
BIGJ1967
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:21 pm

Need some help guys, trying to decide between the esab rebel 285 and the multimatic 255, they both look like solid machines and with Tig setups they are only 200 dollars difference. I already have the Rebel 205 AC/DC and it is a great machine, other than pulse Tig is their much difference. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

The MultiMatic 255 is a MIG machine. The MultiMatic 220 is a multi-process TIG, MIG, Stick Machine with AC/DC. The Esab 285 appears to be a DC only Multi-process box, closer in features to the MultiMatic 215.

If you own the Rebel 205 then a higher end MIG box (Miller MM 252) might be better. Oscar like he HTP ProPulse boxes a lot.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

If you get the multimatic 255 (not the millermatic 255...two different machines) it is a multiprocess DC only welder, with pulse mig. Either the multimatic 255 or the millermatic 255 is going to have a bit more power than either the Esab 285 or the millermatic 252. Both those machines top out at 300 amps, both 255 units top out at 350 amps...not sure if that matters to you. BUT the big difference of the three is that both of the miller 255 units do pulsed mig. That reason alone would push me to the miller and away from ESAB. Pulsed mig gives you more versatility with spray transfer out of position as well as advantages for welding aluminum. Both Millermatic 255 and Multimatic 255 will be exactly the same on mig mode. The later just adds stick and DC TIG. Check this video out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZLcmA3EVX8
Multimatic 255
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

cj737 wrote:The MultiMatic 255 is a MIG machine. The MultiMatic 220 is a multi-process TIG, MIG, Stick Machine with AC/DC. The Esab 285 appears to be a DC only Multi-process box, closer in features to the MultiMatic 215.

If you own the Rebel 205 then a higher end MIG box (Miller MM 252) might be better. Oscar like he HTP ProPulse boxes a lot.
Nah, they suck. Gonna throw 'em in the trash. :lol:

The Millers do have a nice top-end, albeit at 10% duty cycle. It all just depends what the OP is after. BIGJ, what are you looking for in your new MIG?
BIGJ1967

I was looking for something capable of spray arc transfer with .045 wire for half inch and above mild steel, I have never used pulse mig so not sure if it is something I would need.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

BIGJ1967 wrote:I was looking for something capable of spray arc transfer with .045 wire for half inch and above mild steel, I have never used pulse mig so not sure if it is something I would need.
...and the plot thickens...

If you're gonna be doing ½" and above often, you need a 400-500A MIG. Otherwise duty cycle might be an issue for you with 300A-class machines. Pulse MIG gives some added control for doing out of position welds with spray-transfer qualities, but it doesn't replace raw output. Lots of unknowns still.
BIGJ1967

The half inch and up is fairly a rare occurrence but it does happen, after hearing about the pro pulse from htp I'm seriously looking at that.

BIGJ1967 wrote:The half inch and up is fairly a rare occurrence but it does happen, after hearing about the pro pulse from htp I'm seriously looking at that.
If you want to do ½" singe-pass, the Pro Pulse 300 can do it, but it's not cheap. More than ½" it's not really rated for that. One of the programs gets it up to 0.598" (because the original programs were converted from Metric to Imperial, so that's the reason for the weird thickness rating, I suppose it's roughly close to 5/8" which is 0.625")

But it is a spray/pulsed-spraying monster. Heck, just last weekend I made it pulse-spray metal-core wire on the aluminum pulse programs by tweaking/playing with the WFS/Volts! Are you ready to shell out close $5k for only 320 amps? That is the question. I think that is one thing that is a tough pill to swallow for most because you can get a lot more amperage for the same amount of money.

These are the programs that are included in the PP300. Versatile, it is. While I'm not 100% sure, I'm pretty sure neither the rebel 285 nor either Miller/Multi-matic's have this much built-in functionality on the MIG side. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

(Right-click, open in new window/tab)

Last edited by Oscar on Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIGJ1967

Thanks Oscar, have you used the Tig side of the machine? If your wondering what I mostly weld, gun barrels, rewelded. From cut up, all the way from 9mm to 40mm howitzer, so sometimes it is thick stuff!

BIGJ1967 wrote:Thanks Oscar, have you used the Tig side of the machine? If your wondering what I mostly weld, gun barrels, rewelded. From cut up, all the way from 9mm to 40mm howitzer, so sometimes it is thick stuff!
I have not played with the TIG side of the machine, since I have two other TIGs. I'm sure it's a nice arc, but it is scratch-start, not HF-start, can pulse up to 1000Hz (DC only of course, this does not have any AC capabilities), and you can use a pedal of course. 35% duty cycle @ 300A on TIG, @ 104°F is what it is rated at. 40mm thick steel? That would require multi-pass if I'm not mistaken. Unless you really pour on the amperage with a 500A welder!