A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
ShooterMartin
    Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:13 pm

I’ve been welding for a couple years now. I generally stick with the cheapo $2 Z87.1 safety glasses my local welding supply stocks. I figure I can buy 10 pairs before I buy an “expensive” pair and they’ll likely last me just as long. recently, however, I was gifted a pair of Miller clear safety glasses and I love them. They are far kore scratch resistant, far more comfortable, and the field of view/protection is much greater.

My question is: is it worth it to invest in more expensive safety glasses if the cheap ones protect my eyes all the same? If so, what brands would you recommend? Looking for clear and Shade 2 glasses.

Thanks,
ShooterMartin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

I use Nemesis by Jackson, they're around $10ish apiece I believe. I buy them by the dozen. I dunno, I only get 1 pair of eyes I'd rather not cheap out on protecting them.

Edit: they're $15ish for a 3 pack on Amazon. Clear or smoked available

One thing to consider, i see a couple brands like Milwaukee advertising fog proof glasses. I've had quite a few instances wearing a respirator under my helmet were its not fitting perfectly and fogs up my safety glasses. Talk about a PITA. I dont always feel like wearing a powered respirator for smaller jobs but some days I have no choice. Will definitely try a few fog proof pairs.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Simclardy
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

I use the 3m maxim glasses.
I pay about $8 at the local hardware store

https://www.zoro.com/3m-safety-glasses- ... DYQAvD_BwE

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
ShooterMartin

Simclardy wrote:I use the 3m maxim glasses.

I’ve seen these. Do the hard ear pieces irritate you? And do they fit under a hood comfortably or do they interfere at all?

ShooterMartin

JayWal wrote:I use Nemesis by Jackson, they're around $10ish apiece I believe. I buy them by the dozen. I dunno, I only get 1 pair of eyes I'd rather not cheap out on protecting them.

One thing to consider, i see a couple brands like Milwaukee advertising fog proof glasses. I've had quite a few instances wearing a respirator under my helmet were its not fitting perfectly and fogs up my safety glasses. Talk about a PITA. I dont always feel like wearing a powered respirator for smaller jobs but some days I have no choice. Will definitely try a few fog proof pairs.

A friend and coworker of mine wears these and swears by them. I’ve tried them and I’m a big fan of the lens and how snug to my face they fit, but the earpieces have always gotten on my nerves. They either irritate my ears after a half a day wearing them or they interfere with my hood. Unless I’m thinking of a different but similar looking pair? Have you experienced this? I do like the fogged lenses though.

Simclardy
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

ShooterMartin wrote:
Simclardy wrote:I use the 3m maxim glasses.

I’ve seen these. Do the hard ear pieces irritate you? And do they fit under a hood comfortably or do they interfere at all?

The ear piece is flexible and you can adjust them to reach your ears. Lol
Im so used to them i don't think about it.
Sometimes i wear a respirator, ear protection and glasses.
When wearing a respirator they sit up a tad but not bad.
They fit no problem under my viking 3350.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

ShooterMartin wrote:
JayWal wrote:I use Nemesis by Jackson, they're around $10ish apiece I believe. I buy them by the dozen. I dunno, I only get 1 pair of eyes I'd rather not cheap out on protecting them.

A friend and coworker of mine wears these and swears by them. I’ve tried them and I’m a big fan of the lens and how snug to my face they fit, but the earpieces have always gotten on my nerves. They either irritate my ears after a half a day wearing them or they interfere with my hood. Unless I’m thinking of a different but similar looking pair? Have you experienced this? I do like the fogged lenses though.

Mine have just the straight flexible rubber earpieces, they wrap around the back of your head slightly rather than down around the back of your ear. Very comfortable and close fit around my bean. I usually wear them all day every day, they never bother me. Like Sim said they do sit a tad higher with a respirator but no issues at all fitting under my hood.

ShooterMartin

Good to know, thank you both for the suggestions!

@JayWal @Simclardy

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

I used the jacksons, millers, 3ms from home depot and some shit arc-one glasses.

My favorite are the jacksons. The lenses seem to stay "clear" and "fresh" the longest. The 3ms as well as the Jacksons do not squish the dome so to speak. The Millers are nice too, but haven't worn them as much since I normally throw on the jacksons, I've got a pair of 3m dark tint too for outdoor use that are awesome. I'd say buy a reputable pair and you can't go wrong.

PS Anything ansi z87.1+ rated is sufficient no matter the price. They have to be qualified to get stamped so you are not damaging your eyes to my knowledge. Get the ones that are the most comfortable.

When you guys find fog proof glass you could make a fortune! ;)